looking for Tomcat tutorial(s)

Wolfgang

I'm looking for a really good Tomcat tutorial, ideally with empahsis
on application structure (web.xml), but also explanation of server.xml
-- graphs and xml code samples would be helpful.

I've seen some good graphs in
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/csg/faqs/servlets/
but that tutorial is not yet complete.

Would you have any links for good Tomcat tutorials?

Thanks,

Wolfgang,
Santab

Juha Laiho

(e-mail address removed) said:
I'm looking for a really good Tomcat tutorial, ideally with empahsis
on application structure (web.xml), but also explanation of server.xml
-- graphs and xml code samples would be helpful.

As for web.xml; do read the servlet specification (from Sun). It is not
a tutorial, but short enough that you can read it through. That'll
explain everything there is to web.xml.

For server.xml, I hope you've already read the actual Tomcat
documentation? Unfortunately there's room for improvement, but
it's not hopeless (and yes, I know, I could get improvements
done by sending them - so in that sense this is just idle whining).

After reading those, it's time to apply your knowledge.

Joerg Gippert

Hi Wolfgang,
I'm looking for a really good Tomcat tutorial, ideally with empahsis
on application structure (web.xml), but also explanation of server.xml
-- graphs and xml code samples would be helpful.

I've seen some good graphs in
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/csg/faqs/servlets/
but that tutorial is not yet complete.

Would you have any links for good Tomcat tutorials?

I guess, you´re looking for JSP/servlet tutorials since Tomcat is just the
server that supports with JSP/servlets. I think this is a good tutorial that
also covers Tomcat configuration at a glance:
http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/Servlet-Tutorial/

Punch in "jsp tutorial" at Google and you´ll find a bunch of other tutorials
on that topic

HTH
Regards,
Joerg

read-the-signature

Wolfgang said:
I'm looking for a really good Tomcat tutorial, ideally with empahsis
on application structure (web.xml), but also explanation of server.xml
-- graphs and xml code samples would be helpful.

I've seen some good graphs in
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/csg/faqs/servlets/
but that tutorial is not yet complete.

Would you have any links for good Tomcat tutorials?

Thanks,

Wolfgang,
Santab

This book is very good, "Tomcat The Definitive Guide", O'Reilly and Associates,
June 2003, ISBN 0-596-00318-8.

Chapter 3 covers Servlet and JSP application layouts in Tomcat.
Chapter 7 covers the web.xml and server.xml in depth.
Other chapters discuss how to integrate tomcat and the apache web server
with mod_jk. How to setup various types of Realms for user authentication,
I used this to help setup a JDBCRealm in an application I'm working on. It
lets me put userids and passwords in a postgresql database.

You can look for the book at www.ora.com and get the Table of contents.
I bought the book and find it very useful as I am using Apache/Tomcat in
an application I'm currently developing.

regards