    not searching for the right things.

    Thanks;
    Guy45
    guy45, Mar 5, 2008

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed guy45 <>
    writing in news:a2b12efb-d3d9-4dd2-9884-1feee2110158
    @e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

    > Is there any such tool out there for html debugging/learning that
    > would behave similar to other programmers tools to allow one to "step
    > into" the code while watching the output window ?
    > In this case the output window would be a browser. I think this would
    > be great for seeing the stuff in action instead of modifying code,
    > checking browser, back and forth a thousand times etc.
    > I googled it but not much luck.
    > Found stuff for javascript but not for html specifically. Maybe I'm
    > not searching for the right things.
    >
    > Thanks;
    > Guy45

    HTML is a markup language, not a programming language, so there is no
    way to "step" into it.

    With that said, Firebug extension for Firefox might be of help.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 5, 2008

  3. guy45

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 5 Mar, 15:17, guy45 <> wrote:

    > Is there any such tool out there for html debugging/learning that
    > would behave similar to other programmers tools to allow one to "step
    > into" the code while watching the output window ?

    This would lead to quite an incorrect mindset for good HTML authoring.

    HTML does _not_ describe "How a page should be rendered". Instead it
    describes a document, together with suggestions for how it might be
    rendered, all other things being suitable. A notion of "stepping into
    the rendering" has implicitly assumed that you care about how _one_
    browser chooses to render the page, for one particular desktop, in one
    particular set of circumstances. Historically this has shown to be a
    risky approach to web design, leading to fragile pages that only work
    on one browser. You really mustn't focus too closely on how one
    browser chooses to do it, instead make sure that you're writing pages
    that are objectively correct.

    You might like to look at Firefox though, the Firebug extension and
    the Web Developer toolbar.
    Andy Dingley, Mar 5, 2008
  4. guy45

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    guy45 <> wrote:

    > Is there any such tool out there for html debugging/learning that
    > would behave similar to other programmers tools to allow one to "step
    > into" the code while watching the output window ?
    > In this case the output window would be a browser. I think this would
    > be great for seeing the stuff in action instead of modifying code,
    > checking browser, back and forth a thousand times etc.
    > I googled it but not much luck.
    > Found stuff for javascript but not for html specifically. Maybe I'm
    > not searching for the right things.
    >
    > Thanks;
    > Guy45

    Yes, but only in the sense that whatever you put into the HTML
    doc, from before the very first press of the keyboard to a
    completed and valid work with CSS linked or embedded shows up in
    the browser. There is an extension to the Firefox browser, Web
    Developer tool, which shows the actual rendering in the browser
    according to your input. It is pretty impressive. See
    <http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 5, 2008