Looking for traffic generating utility (like ping)

AirAndFingers

Hello, I am looking for a utility that will generate any number of
pings per second, and allow me to check how many of the pings in the
last X seconds have been dropped, while it is still running.

The reason I can't use the built-in Unix ping is that 1) it does not
provide overall feedback while it is still running, and 2) It would be
difficult to determine how many pings have been lost in the last X
seconds, due to the possibility of out-of-order ping replies and other
such problems. (Also, 3: it seems like it would be inefficient and
unreliable to read the lines of output, especially since I plan to
generate a high number of pings per second (likely over 1000/sec)).

Ideally, I'd like the interface to be like this: 1) I start the
utility and give it the target IP address, the number of pings it
should send every second, and the number of seconds (X) it should look
back when I request a report. 2) I make some sort of request of the
utility, and it tells me how many pings were sent out in the last X
seconds, and how many were received. I should be able to do this
multiple times before termination. 3) I terminate the utility, and it
gives me overall statistics; most importantly, overall number of pings
sent, and overall number received.

Does anyone know of a Python module that could help me here, or a ping
utility? If not, is there a better way to do this than simply
generating a thread which runs "ping -i [interval] [IP]"?

Thanks for any and all help,
Aaron