    TIA

    http://davmagic.com/

    , Jun 29, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor
    > on a windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

    1. Double-click on Wordpad icon.
    2. Begin typing HTML.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally could .. not .. resist.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Ian Rastall Guest

    > wrote:
    >> Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor
    >> on a windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

    Any decent HTML tutorial should work fine. I would use Notepad, rather
    than Wordpad, or a simple free text editor, like NoteTab Light. Since
    an .html file is just plain text, just write the code and open the
    file in a browser.

    HTH

    Ian
    --
    Was it not a comedy, a strange and stupid
    matter, this repetition, this running around

    Ian Rastall, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor on a
    > windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > http://davmagic.com/

    Frankly, I would be sure the editor had syntax highlighting. That can save
    a lot of eye strain. I like HTML-Kit, <http://www.chami.com/html-kit>
    because it has lots of plugins, it uses Top Style Lite
    <http://www.bradsoft.com/download/index.asp> for CSS, and uses HTML-Tidy.
    Oh, and it's free.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Ian Rastall wrote:

    >> wrote:
    >>> Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor
    >>> on a windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

    > Any decent HTML tutorial should work fine. I would use Notepad, rather
    > than Wordpad, or a simple free text editor, like NoteTab Light. Since
    > an .html file is just plain text, just write the code and open the
    > file in a browser.

    I'd strongly advice you to get hold of one of the many free editors out
    there. Many such editors are decent and very powerful. You will benefit in
    the long run.

    I personally think that Notepad is terrible. Its line-wrapping and save
    mechanism (to name a few weaknesses) are poor and there is no support
    text/code highlight. Notepad is only good for a 5-line TODO list, but no
    task beyond that. It's lightweight, hence it's aimed at 'lightweight'
    tasks.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Jun 29, 2005
  6. Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Roy Schestowitz <>
    said:

    > I'd strongly advice you to get hold of one of the many free editors out
    > there. Many such editors are decent and very powerful. You will benefit in
    > the long run.

    Absolutely. Here are some of the best free ones:

    HTML
    free:
    jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
    nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
    screem: http://www.screem.org/
    ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
    netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
    araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
    1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
    crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
    ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
    acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
    notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
    tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
    html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
    context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
    pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
    websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
    metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
    quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
    notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
    grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
    editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
    stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
    matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jun 29, 2005
  7. Ian Rastall Guest

    Free editors (was: Looking for Tutorial)

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 05:23:42 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
    <> wrote:

    >I'd strongly advice you to get hold of one of the many free editors out
    >there. Many such editors are decent and very powerful.

    This begs the question: which free text editors?

    My text editor is NoteTab Pro, which is not free. The best free one
    I've found is JEdit:

    http://www.jedit.org/

    Ian

    Ian Rastall, Jun 29, 2005
  8. Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: Free editors

    Previously in alt.html, Ian Rastall <> said:

    > This begs the question: which free text editors?

    See the list I posted a few minutes ago. :)

    > My text editor is NoteTab Pro, which is not free. The best free one
    > I've found is JEdit:

    Haven't used that myself. On Windows I prefer HTML-Kit. On Linux I've
    been using Bluefish up to now, though I'm leaning towards Quanta Plus at
    the moment.

    Mark Parnell, Jun 29, 2005
  9. Ian Rastall Guest

    Re: Free editors

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:00:32 +1000, Mark Parnell
    <> wrote:

    >See the list I posted a few minutes ago. :)

    I did! We posted at the same time. <hanging head in shame>

    >Haven't used that myself. On Windows I prefer HTML-Kit.

    Just tried that out, as I've been looking for an HTML IDE that does
    the same thing that XML Spy does for XML. Can't seem to find one. The
    closest I've come is the cumbersome HTML editor that comes with the C#
    IDE (which I never used anyway). Eclipse looks promising, but can't
    seem to find an HTML plug-in.

    Ian

    Ian Rastall, Jun 29, 2005
  10. Re: Free editors

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Previously in alt.html, Ian Rastall <> said:
    >
    >> This begs the question: which free text editors?

    > See the list I posted a few minutes ago. :)
    >
    >> My text editor is NoteTab Pro, which is not free. The best free one
    >> I've found is JEdit:

    > Haven't used that myself. On Windows I prefer HTML-Kit. On Linux I've
    > been using Bluefish up to now, though I'm leaning towards Quanta Plus at
    > the moment.

    I'd nod to that. Quanta is an editor that I only discovered about a year ago
    (I had it installed by default). It potentially saves a lot of typing.

    I tend to edit all the files on the server itself using cPanel's File
    Manager. It is far from a helpful editor, I wish it was better, but it
    redeems me from the need to ever transfer files.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Jun 29, 2005
  11. Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: Free editors

    said:

    > I'd nod to that. Quanta is an editor that I only discovered about a year ago
    > (I had it installed by default). It potentially saves a lot of typing.

    Same here - it was installed by default, so thought I'd try it out. A
    few things I'm not entirely happy with, but on the whole it's a nice
    program.

    Tried Screem for the same reason, but didn't like that at all!

    Mark Parnell, Jun 29, 2005

    wrote:
    > Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor on a
    > windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

    As others have noted, there are many editors out there including many
    free ones. If you will download either the latest free Mozilla or
    Netscape browser you will get a free editor called the composer. It can
    be clicked on at the bottom left of the screen. You can use only html,
    templates, or a mixture thereof. It writes decent template code that
    will validate in contrast to many other editors. Colors are used to
    make the code easy to read. You can bring up images and it will
    automatically select the correct computer address to link to them so
    you can preview the page. You can store the page as a local file on the
    computer to view there. Or the composer can be set up to FTP your page
    to a directory at your web site. The neat thing is that it also
    automatically changes the computer addresses of your images to relative
    URLs and uploads these to the directory you selected at your site as
    well - in effect one click uploading of a complete web page. It takes a
    little time to learn, but is not very difficult to use. I am mostly a
    plain page code writer, but the Mozilla/Netscape composer seems to be
    one of the better free editors that I have seen.

    , Jun 29, 2005

    Thank you all, but it seems you are missing my original intent, which
    is a tutorial that I can reference, that explains step by step, how to
    create an HTML document with a text editor on a windows based pc... ie
    how to (perhaps) open MyDocuments, open File, New, open Text
    Document... etc... type in the code... save as a .html file... then how
    to FTP that document to an online host server! I seem to have found one
    here: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/ but it is old and
    references HTML 3.2 ....

    I'll use it until I get a better one...

    Thank You all...

    http://www.paintahouse.com

    , Jun 29, 2005

    , Jun 29, 2005
  15. Ian Rastall Guest

    On 29 Jun 2005 00:50:53 -0700, wrote:

    >it seems you are missing my original intent, which
    >is a tutorial that I can reference, that explains step by step, how to
    >create an HTML document with a text editor on a windows based pc... ie
    >how to (perhaps) open MyDocuments, open File, New, open Text
    >Document... etc... type in the code... save as a .html file... then how
    >to FTP that document to an online host server!

    Not sure what you mean, as you've outlined pretty much what you need
    to do. Notepad is in Start > Programs > Accessories. It opens with a
    fresh document. You type in your HTML, go to File > Save, and save it
    as an .html file. You test it by opening up, say, IE, going to File >
    Open ... Not sure if there is a Windows FTP program, but there's good
    ones available.

    Is that what you mean? Is it that you're on Linux or Mac and just want
    to know how to go about things on Windows?

    Ian

    Ian Rastall, Jun 29, 2005
  16. in alt.html, Animesh Kumar wrote:
    > Mark Parnell wrote:

    [brucies list]

    > Where are gvim and emacs :)

    brucie didn't like them.

    Kohtuuhintainen yksiö/huone haussa Oulusta syyskuusta eteenpäin.
    Searching places to sleep on axis Bonn - Tsech - Poland - baltic sea in
    july

    Lauri Raittila, Jun 29, 2005
  17. Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Lauri Raittila <> said:
    > in alt.html, Animesh Kumar wrote:
    >> Where are gvim and emacs :)

    > brucie didn't like them.

    Yeah, thinking I might have to start updating the list myself, since
    brucie isn't likely to be around any time soon.

    Mark Parnell, Jun 30, 2005
  18. Animesh Kumar wrote:
    > Mark Parnell wrote:

    ><snip>