Looking for Tutorial

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor
on a windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

1. Double-click on Wordpad icon.
2. Begin typing HTML.

Ian Rastall

Any decent HTML tutorial should work fine. I would use Notepad, rather
than Wordpad, or a simple free text editor, like NoteTab Light. Since
an .html file is just plain text, just write the code and open the
file in a browser.

HTH

Ian

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor on a
windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

TIA

http://davmagic.com/

Frankly, I would be sure the editor had syntax highlighting. That can save
a lot of eye strain. I like HTML-Kit, <http://www.chami.com/html-kit>
because it has lots of plugins, it uses Top Style Lite
<http://www.bradsoft.com/download/index.asp> for CSS, and uses HTML-Tidy.
Oh, and it's free.

Roy Schestowitz

Ian said:
Any decent HTML tutorial should work fine. I would use Notepad, rather
than Wordpad, or a simple free text editor, like NoteTab Light. Since
an .html file is just plain text, just write the code and open the
file in a browser.

I'd strongly advice you to get hold of one of the many free editors out
there. Many such editors are decent and very powerful. You will benefit in
the long run.

I personally think that Notepad is terrible. Its line-wrapping and save
mechanism (to name a few weaknesses) are poor and there is no support
text/code highlight. Notepad is only good for a 5-line TODO list, but no
task beyond that. It's lightweight, hence it's aimed at 'lightweight'
tasks.

Roy

Mark Parnell

I'd strongly advice you to get hold of one of the many free editors out
there. Many such editors are decent and very powerful. You will benefit in
the long run.

Absolutely. Here are some of the best free ones:

HTML
free:
jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
screem: http://www.screem.org/
ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

Ian Rastall

I'd strongly advice you to get hold of one of the many free editors out
there. Many such editors are decent and very powerful.

This begs the question: which free text editors?

My text editor is NoteTab Pro, which is not free. The best free one
I've found is JEdit:

http://www.jedit.org/

Ian

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
This begs the question: which free text editors?

See the list I posted a few minutes ago. :)
My text editor is NoteTab Pro, which is not free. The best free one
I've found is JEdit:

Haven't used that myself. On Windows I prefer HTML-Kit. On Linux I've
been using Bluefish up to now, though I'm leaning towards Quanta Plus at
the moment.

Ian Rastall

I did! We posted at the same time. said:
Haven't used that myself. On Windows I prefer HTML-Kit.

Just tried that out, as I've been looking for an HTML IDE that does
the same thing that XML Spy does for XML. Can't seem to find one. The
closest I've come is the cumbersome HTML editor that comes with the C#
IDE (which I never used anyway). Eclipse looks promising, but can't
seem to find an HTML plug-in.

Ian

Roy Schestowitz

Mark said:
See the list I posted a few minutes ago. :)

Haven't used that myself. On Windows I prefer HTML-Kit. On Linux I've
been using Bluefish up to now, though I'm leaning towards Quanta Plus at
the moment.

I'd nod to that. Quanta is an editor that I only discovered about a year ago
(I had it installed by default). It potentially saves a lot of typing.

I tend to edit all the files on the server itself using cPanel's File
Manager. It is far from a helpful editor, I wish it was better, but it
redeems me from the need to ever transfer files.

Roy

Mark Parnell

I'd nod to that. Quanta is an editor that I only discovered about a year ago
(I had it installed by default). It potentially saves a lot of typing.

Same here - it was installed by default, so thought I'd try it out. A
few things I'm not entirely happy with, but on the whole it's a nice
program.

Tried Screem for the same reason, but didn't like that at all!

cwdjrxyz

Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor on a
windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

As others have noted, there are many editors out there including many
free ones. If you will download either the latest free Mozilla or
Netscape browser you will get a free editor called the composer. It can
be clicked on at the bottom left of the screen. You can use only html,
templates, or a mixture thereof. It writes decent template code that
will validate in contrast to many other editors. Colors are used to
make the code easy to read. You can bring up images and it will
automatically select the correct computer address to link to them so
you can preview the page. You can store the page as a local file on the
computer to view there. Or the composer can be set up to FTP your page
to a directory at your web site. The neat thing is that it also
automatically changes the computer addresses of your images to relative
URLs and uploads these to the directory you selected at your site as
well - in effect one click uploading of a complete web page. It takes a
little time to learn, but is not very difficult to use. I am mostly a
plain page code writer, but the Mozilla/Netscape composer seems to be
one of the better free editors that I have seen.

davmagic2000

Thank you all, but it seems you are missing my original intent, which
is a tutorial that I can reference, that explains step by step, how to
create an HTML document with a text editor on a windows based pc... ie
how to (perhaps) open MyDocuments, open File, New, open Text
Document... etc... type in the code... save as a .html file... then how
to FTP that document to an online host server! I seem to have found one
here: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/ but it is old and
references HTML 3.2 ....

I'll use it until I get a better one...

Thank You all...

http://www.paintahouse.com

Ian Rastall

it seems you are missing my original intent, which
is a tutorial that I can reference, that explains step by step, how to
create an HTML document with a text editor on a windows based pc... ie
how to (perhaps) open MyDocuments, open File, New, open Text
Document... etc... type in the code... save as a .html file... then how
to FTP that document to an online host server!

Not sure what you mean, as you've outlined pretty much what you need
to do. Notepad is in Start > Programs > Accessories. It opens with a
fresh document. You type in your HTML, go to File > Save, and save it
as an .html file. You test it by opening up, say, IE, going to File >
Open ... Not sure if there is a Windows FTP program, but there's good
ones available.

Is that what you mean? Is it that you're on Linux or Mac and just want
to know how to go about things on Windows?

Ian

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
brucie didn't like them.

Yeah, thinking I might have to start updating the list myself, since
brucie isn't likely to be around any time soon.