Looking for Tutorial

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
As I replied earlier here's "what I mean":
http://davmagic.com/PAGES90.html

http://davmagic.com/

You are making some suppositions and recommendations there that might not
be a good idea. One of the problems with using the My Documents folder
is that it can get very difficult to manage very quickly, especially if
the user has not put subfolders in it. Imagine the poor person who is
trying to upload a site, and has to sit there and think about which
images and/or documents are supposed to go, and which are not.

I would also recommend against using Notepad as an editor.
1. It automtically assumes type txt, and will occasionally name
somepage.html.txt.
2. It does not have syntax highlighting and is therefore going to be even
more difficult for a beginner.
3. It does not have line numbering. Difficult to debug if the person is
validating and something is wrong on line 192.
4. It has a size limit. It's pretty small, I don't know the exact
number, anyone want to jump in?

What would be better is to offer a list of editors to your visitors, and
explain simply:
Start -> Programs -> (name of program) -> File -> New

davmagic2000

Thank You.. actually on the follow-up page I do infact recommend using
Word Pad rather than Note Pad: http://davmagic.com/PAGES91.html

As for using My Documents, it is just a way for beginners to "get
started" in making an html document. I might mention later to create a
New Folder for their documents, or even better write a new tute page
about creating Folders altogether on a Windows PC!

http://www.paintahouse.com/

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
I have re-written the page with some changes reflecting these
discussions, take a look: http://davmagic.com/PAGES90.html

http://davmagic.com

I hate to say it, but anyone who is writing tutorials, and is posting to an
HTML authors group such as this, should validate their markup. You have 38
errors, most of which are because you are trying to use XHTML and not
closing elements.

Before you start teaching others, make sure that your own house is clean
first.

davmagic2000

My "House is clean"... errors of that nature don't concern me... xHTML
is really just a "phaze" ... pages still render ok and test ok on
different browsers... Testing and End Results are what count! I didn't
have time to close the tags as required by xHTML... maybe I will in a
minute, and I'm starting to think why do I use xHTMl anyway? Other
pages written in plain HTML work ok... I don't want to get into all
this bs about it anyway! Many of the so called pros here failed in the
first place to even understand what it was that I originally wanted...
thus I wrote my own tute...

http://davmagic.com/

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
My "House is clean"...errors of that nature don't concern me...

You sir, are a cad. <http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?
book=Dictionary&va=cad&x=17&y=18>
xHTML
is really just a "phaze" ...

XHTML is not a "phaze". "The Extensible HyperText Markup Language (XHTML™)
is a family of current and future document types and modules that
reproduce, subset, and extend HTML, reformulated in XML."
pages still render ok and test ok on
different browsers... Testing and End Results are what count!

Please define testing, and testing ok. Is this going to test ok in the
future when some browsers will be less fault tolerant?
I didn't
have time to close the tags as required by xHTML... maybe I will in a
minute,

You didn't have TIME? WTF? How long does it take to add / at the end of an
image element? You have time to abuse tables for layout. You also have
time to use deprecated, presentational elements and attributes.
and I'm starting to think why do I use xHTMl anyway? Other
pages written in plain HTML work ok...

Obviously, since you don't have "time", then you should use a Strict
DocType, stop abusing tables, and replace deprecated markup with CSS.
I don't want to get into all
this bs about it anyway! Many of the so called pros here failed in the
first place to even understand what it was that I originally wanted...
thus I wrote my own tute...

Don't get me wrong, I understand and commend what you are attempting to do.
But, if you're going to teach, you should know your subject.

davmagic2000

Hey why don't you go get fucked bitch... you are a real drag... you are
boring and a crude pig to think you are all so great about all of
this!!! The real issue is browser support for the object and embed
tags! If you had any sence at all instead of coming down on me, you
would have looked at the SPECIFIC IMPORTANT ERRORS and know that IE
supports the object tag but Firefox and Mozilla do not support it so
the embed tag must be used, which won't validate for xHTML!!!

Learn a little humility baby and come down off your thrown...

http://davmagic.com/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Hey why don't you go get fucked bitch...

Not quite the retort I expected to see...
you are a real drag... you are boring and a crude pig to think you
are all so great about all of this!!!

She's far better at the subject at hand than you'll ever be.
The real issue is browser support for the object and embed tags! If
you had any sence at all instead of coming down on me, you would
have looked at the SPECIFIC IMPORTANT ERRORS and know that IE
supports the object tag but Firefox and Mozilla do not support it
so the embed tag must be used, which won't validate for xHTML!!!

The real issue is you are attempting to teach crap. Yes, crap.

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
Hey why don't you go get fucked bitch...

I would, but, I'm busy dealing with this right now. Maybe later.
you are a real drag... you are
boring and a crude pig to think you are all so great about all of
this!!!

Tsk, tsk, tsk. A bit touchy are we today, eh? Not a good way to win
friends, a great way to make enemies, however.
The real issue is browser support for the object and embed
tags!

Then why was your original post?
"Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor on a
windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?"

If you wanted to know about browser support for object and embed, you
should have said so in your first post.
If you had any sence at all

I don't have any sence, that word isn't in the dictionary. I do have,
however, have about 50 cents in pennies in my purse. I'll mail some of
them to you. Now, I should have the sense to stop replying to this
thread, but I'm having fun with it.
instead of coming down on me,

I did not come down on you. I offered some suggestions to get you out of
possible future trouble. Hey, if you want to stand on the train tracks,
go ahead. I'm sure there will be a train along some time in the future.
you
would have looked at the SPECIFIC IMPORTANT ERRORS and know that IE
supports the object tag but Firefox and Mozilla do not support it so
the embed tag must be used, which won't validate for xHTML!!!

I'm being generous today - here you go:
Learn a little humility baby and come down off your thrown...

First, I'm not a baby. Second, I don't think anyone can come off of a
past tense verb, perhaps you meant throne?

KiwiBrian

Congratulations on a model response to an arrogant, ignorant and abusive
poster.
Brian Tozer

Adrienne

Congratulations on a model response to an arrogant, ignorant and abusive
poster.

Why, thank you, Brian. You are a gentleman, a scholar and a fine judge of
women.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, KiwiBrian quothed
Congratulations on a model response to an arrogant, ignorant and abusive
poster.
Brian Tozer

Phfff phff phff... Yep, the ol' soft-soap works every time.

jussij

Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a
plain text editor on a windows PC, like Wordpad to
write an HTML document?

I would definitely suggest downloading Tidy HTML to
check you HTML code:

http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

FWIW here is another link showing how to integrate
Tidy HTML into the Zeus editor:

http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194

This basically means you load the html file into the
editor and then "compile" the file using Tidy HTML.

The Zeus compiler handling then allow you to jump to
the line that contains the offending HTML tag.

NOTE: Zeus is shareware (60 day free trial period).

Jussi Jumppanen
Author of: Zeus for Windows Editor (New version 3.94 out now)