Looking for (X)HTML/CSS valid web sites

cwdjrxyz

Mark Parnell states:"Congratulations. Who are you replying to, and what
does it have to do with anything? IOW, please quote the appropriate
parts of the message you are replying to. "

I was of course replying to the original post of the thread where we
were asked for pages of a certain type that validate. This is what I
provided. Thus no quotes are necessary and a waste of space. I quote in
this reply to you because it concerns a new subject that is not part of
the original post question. That is the way I have been posting in
several other groups, and people seem to understand it. If you always
like to quote, by all means do it. Just do not try to force me to do
things the way you prefer. I consider you very rude, but I am not upset
by it and have no intention to start an argument with you. You seem to
have several good technical ideas. Thus I would guess we could get
along together just fine if we both stick to technical issues. I have
posted very little in this group, because there often are far too many
off topic, troll, and just plain nasty posts. I have no time for flame
wars and such.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mark Parnell states:"Congratulations. Who are you replying to, and
what does it have to do with anything? IOW, please quote the
appropriate parts of the message you are replying to. "

Please consider using a real newsreader that quotes properly, or at
least investigate google groups' options to do so.
I was of course replying to the original post of the thread where
we were asked for pages of a certain type that validate. This is
what I provided. Thus no quotes are necessary and a waste of space.

You are not considering that the post you are replying to has not yet
propagated to everyone's news server. We may see your post minutes or
hours before the original post, so your reply is more or less meaningless.
I quote in this reply to you because it concerns a new subject that
is not part of the original post question. That is the way I have
been posting in several other groups, and people seem to understand
it.

<insert>When in Rome, do as the Romans do.</insert>

<snip>

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I was of course replying to the original post of the thread

Of course? Your reply was to Andy Dingley's post, which had nothing to
do with what you wrote.
Thus no quotes are necessary and a waste of space.

Ah, I see now where the problem lies. You are using Google Groups. You
may not realise, but this is actually a Usenet newsgroup. Quoting the
appropriate parts of the message you are replying to is not only common
courtesy, it is expected. In many groups, you wouldn't even be asked the
first time - you would just automatically make it into everyone's
killfiles.

Most of us are accessing the group via a newsreader, not a web browser.
We can only see the current post, not the whole thread at once. Plus, we
are reading several threads, indeed several groups, at the same time,
and don't want to have to go back and check previous posts in this
thread to get the context. Plus Google Groups apparently messes up the
threading of the messages, so your post appeared as a reply to Andy, not
the OP.

Please, for your own sake and ours, use a real newsreader if you can.
Personally, I like http://www.40tude.com/dialog/ but even Outlook
Express is better than a web-based interface.

If you can't use a real newsreader, I believe it is possible to
configure Google Groups to at least quote correctly, though I haven't
tried it myself.