    but its kind of out dated and often returns null. Does anyone know of a more
    up-to-date version or one that is updated regularly? It doesn't have to be
    free.

    Zen Masta, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Zen Masta

    Zen Masta Guest

    perfect, thanks.

    Zen Masta, Sep 1, 2006

  3. Zen Masta

    McKirahan Guest

    "Zen Masta" <> wrote in message
    news:#...
    > I'm looking for a script that will auto complete the state field when
    > someone enters their zipcode.
    >
    > I'm currently using http://javascript.internet.com/forms/zip-to-state.html
    > but its kind of out dated and often returns null. Does anyone know of a

    more
    > up-to-date version or one that is updated regularly? It doesn't have to be
    > free.

    Basically, the state can be identified from the first
    three digits of a zip code; (one exception is noted below).

    You could write your own lookup around this data:

    005 =NY=New York
    010-027=MA=Massachusetts
    028-029=RI=Rhode Island
    030-038=NH=New Hampshire
    039-049=ME=Maine
    050-059=VT=Vermont
    055 =MA=Massachusetts
    060-069=CT=Connecticut
    063 =NY=New York
    070-089=NJ=New Jersey
    100-149=NY=New York
    150-196=PA=Pennsylvania
    197-199=DE=Deleware
    200 =DC=District of Columbia
    201 =VA=Virginia
    202-205=DC=District of Columbia
    206-219=MD=Maryland
    220-246=VA=Virginia
    247-268=WV=West Virginia
    270-289=NC=North Carolina
    290-299=SC=South Carolina
    300-319=GA=Georgia
    320-349=FL=Florida
    350-369=AL=Alabama
    370-385=TN=Tennessee
    386-397=MS=Mississippi
    398 =GA=Georgia
    400-427=KY=Kentucky
    430-459=OH=Ohio
    460-479=IN=Indiana
    480-499=MI=Michigan
    500-528=IA=Iowa
    530-549=WI=Wisconsin
    550-567=MN=Minnesota
    570-577=SD=South Dakota
    580-588=ND=North Dakota
    590-599=MT=Montana
    600-629=IL=Illinois
    630-658=MO=Missouri
    660-679=KS=Kansas
    680-693=NE=Nebraska
    700-714=LA=Louisiana
    716-729=AR=Arkansas
    730-749=OK=Oklahoma
    733-799=TX=Texas
    800-816=CO=Colorado
    820-831=WY=Wyoming (+83414)
    832-838=ID=Idaho
    840-847=UT=Utah
    850-865=AZ=Arizona
    870-884=NM=New Mexico
    885 =TX=Texas
    889-898=NV=Nevada
    900-961=CA=California
    967-968=HI=Hawaii
    970-979=OR=Oregon
    980-994=WA=Washington
    995-999=AK=Alaska

    I generated the above from this link:
    http://www.downloadzipcode.com/

    I ignored those other than states plus DC;
    for example, Guam, Puerto Rico, et.al.

    I found one glaring anomoly: 83414 is in Wyoming
    while all other 834-prefixed zip codes are in Idaho!

    McKirahan, Sep 2, 2006
  4. Zen Masta

    Zen Masta Guest

    Hey thanks. that helps a lot too.