Lookup Information

Madison

Hi there,

I'm writing web application that allow users to pick the providers from
dropdownlist. The providers list getting longer (>2000 names) and in the page
has other dropdownlists too. Sometime page need to re-load, it takes long
time to refresh the page. Have ideas to handle the dropdownlist (pull the
data from database)? Thanks.

Guest

Hi there,

I'm writing web application that allow users to pick the providers from
dropdownlist. The providers list getting longer (>2000 names) and in the page
has other dropdownlists too. Sometime page need to re-load, it takes long
time to refresh the page. Have ideas to handle the dropdownlist (pull the
data from database)? Thanks.

I would replace it by a popup div with a gridview in it. The gridview
can be paged, sorted, and filtered. The filter can be implemeted as a
textbox above gridview where you can enter first letters and it will
filter the grid based on what you have given it. It should
significantly improve the performance and improve UI.

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

What about the data of the DropDownList?
To reduce the workload of the datasource reading, you can use Ajax to
handle this. Please check this:
http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/AutoComplete/AutoComplete
.aspx

This control will render some related items in the list after you type some
words. It will call web service when the textbox value is changed and just
return the related item to the client. It will be more efficient.

--
Sincerely,

Vince Xu

Microsoft Online Support

Mr. Arnold

Madison said:
Hi there,

I'm writing web application that allow users to pick the providers from
dropdownlist. The providers list getting longer (>2000 names) and in the page
has other dropdownlists too. Sometime page need to re-load, it takes long
time to refresh the page. Have ideas to handle the dropdownlist (pull the
data from database)? Thanks.

Pull the data from the database and cache the data in memory. You load
the data from memory into the list to be used by all users of the
application.

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hello,

Since I haven't seen your reply after I last posted my reply. Did you
resolve this?

--
Sincerely,

Vince Xu

Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: Madison <[email protected]>
| Subject: Lookup Information
| Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:19:01 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi there,
|
| I'm writing web application that allow users to pick the providers from
| dropdownlist. The providers list getting longer (>2000 names) and in the
page
| has other dropdownlists too. Sometime page need to re-load, it takes long
| time to refresh the page. Have ideas to handle the dropdownlist (pull the
| data from database)? Thanks.

Guest

Pull the data from the database and cache the data in memory. You load
the data from memory into the list to be used by all users of the
application.

A dropdown with more than 2000 names is not a good idea at all. No
matter if it's cached or not.