    has other dropdownlists too. Sometime page need to re-load, it takes long
    time to refresh the page. Have ideas to handle the dropdownlist (pull the
    data from database)? Thanks.

    Madison, Jan 27, 2010

  2. On Jan 27, 9:19 pm, Madison <> wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm writing web application that allow users to pick the providers from
    > dropdownlist. The providers list getting longer (>2000 names) and in the page
    > has other dropdownlists too. Sometime page need to re-load, it takes long
    > time to refresh the page. Have ideas to handle the dropdownlist (pull the
    > data from database)? Thanks.

    I would replace it by a popup div with a gridview in it. The gridview
    can be paged, sorted, and filtered. The filter can be implemeted as a
    textbox above gridview where you can enter first letters and it will
    filter the grid based on what you have given it. It should
    significantly improve the performance and improve UI.

    Alexey Smirnov, Jan 27, 2010

  3. Hi,

    What about the data of the DropDownList?
    To reduce the workload of the datasource reading, you can use Ajax to
    handle this. Please check this:
    http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/AutoComplete/AutoComplete
    .aspx

    This control will render some related items in the list after you type some
    words. It will call web service when the textbox value is changed and just
    return the related item to the client. It will be more efficient.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Vince Xu

    Microsoft Online Support

    Vince Xu [MSFT], Jan 28, 2010
  4. Madison

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Madison wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm writing web application that allow users to pick the providers from
    > dropdownlist. The providers list getting longer (>2000 names) and in the page
    > has other dropdownlists too. Sometime page need to re-load, it takes long
    > time to refresh the page. Have ideas to handle the dropdownlist (pull the
    > data from database)? Thanks.

    Pull the data from the database and cache the data in memory. You load
    the data from memory into the list to be used by all users of the
    application.

    Mr. Arnold, Jan 28, 2010
  5. Hello,

    Since I haven't seen your reply after I last posted my reply. Did you
    resolve this?

    --
    Sincerely,

    Vince Xu

    Microsoft Online Support

    --------------------

    Vince Xu [MSFT], Feb 2, 2010
  6. On Jan 28, 5:07 am, "Mr. Arnold" <> wrote:
    > Madison wrote:
    > > Hi there,

    > > I'm writing web application that allow users to pick the providers from
    > > dropdownlist. The providers list getting longer (>2000 names) and in the page
    > > has other dropdownlists too. Sometime page need to re-load, it takes long
    > > time to refresh the page. Have ideas to handle the dropdownlist (pull the
    > > data from database)? Thanks.

    > Pull the data from the database and cache the data in memory. You load
    > the data from memory into the list to be used by all users of the
    > application.

    A dropdown with more than 2000 names is not a good idea at all. No
    matter if it's cached or not.

    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 2, 2010