Looooong text is breaking my table.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by FFMG, Aug 6, 2007.

  1. FFMG

    FFMG Guest

    Hi,

    I am displaying a report in a two columns table, (500px and 200px).
    The second col, (200px), displays a url.
    But sometimes the url is longer than 200px and the columns is wider
    than 200px.

    Because I can have more than one table on the page the display appears
    broken.
    So I would rather the url be forcefully wrapped to the next line rather
    than breaking my display.

    Would that be possible?

    How can I do that?

    Thanks

    FFMG

    --

    'webmaster forum' (http://www.httppoint.com) | 'Free Blogs'
    (http://www.journalhome.com/) | 'webmaster Directory'
    FFMG, Aug 6, 2007

  2. FFMG wrote:

    > Hi,

    Hi. Dump the clunky web gateway to Usenet newsgroups, get a real news
    client, and subscribe to this newsgroup the right way.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 7, 2007

  3. FFMG

    G Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > FFMG wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,

    > Hi. Dump the clunky web gateway to Usenet newsgroups, get a real news
    > client, and subscribe to this newsgroup the right way.

    and that will help wrap the link?
    G, Aug 7, 2007
  4. FFMG

    Jim Moe Guest

    FFMG wrote:

    > I am displaying a report in a two columns table, (500px and 200px).
    > The second col, (200px), displays a url.
    > But sometimes the url is longer than 200px and the columns is wider
    > than 200px.

    1. Wrap the URL in a <div>, set the div's property: "overflow: hidden".
    2. Server-side processing: Break the line wherever you want.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Aug 7, 2007
  5. FFMG

    FFMG Guest

    Jim Moe;85588 Wrote:
    > FFMG wrote:
    > >
    > > I am displaying a report in a two columns table, (500px and 200px).
    > > The second col, (200px), displays a url.
    > > But sometimes the url is longer than 200px and the columns is wider
    > > than 200px.
    > >

    > 1. Wrap the URL in a <div>, set the div's property: "overflow:
    > hidden".
    > 2. Server-side processing: Break the line wherever you want.
    >
    > --
    > jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
    > (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    I think I will do the second option.
    I will use the <wbr> trick that seems to work with a lot of the
    browsers.

    Thanks

    FFMG

    FFMG, Aug 7, 2007
  6. FFMG

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 23:30:43 GMT
    G scribed:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> FFMG wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hi,

    >> Hi. Dump the clunky web gateway to Usenet newsgroups, get a real news
    >> client, and subscribe to this newsgroup the right way.

    > and that will help wrap the link?

    It might help to get the help to wrap the link.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 7, 2007
  7. FFMG

    Jim Moe Guest

    FFMG wrote:

    >> 1. Wrap the URL in a <div>, set the div's property: "overflow:
    >> hidden".
    >> 2. Server-side processing: Break the line wherever you want.

    > I think I will do the second option.
    > I will use the <wbr> trick that seems to work with a lot of the
    > browsers.

    <wbr> is not server-side processing.
    <wbr> is a non-standard element. Which makes me wonder if your pages
    have been validated...

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Aug 7, 2007
  8. G wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> FFMG wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hi,

    >> Hi. Dump the clunky web gateway to Usenet newsgroups, get a real news
    >> client, and subscribe to this newsgroup the right way.

    > and that will help wrap the link?

    If he doesn't like my good advice, he's welcome to apply for a refund.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 7, 2007
  9. FFMG

    G Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > G wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Hi. Dump the clunky web gateway to Usenet newsgroups, get a real
    >>> news client, and subscribe to this newsgroup the right way.

    >> and that will help wrap the link?

    > If he doesn't like my good advice, he's welcome to apply for a refund.

    noted
    G, Aug 7, 2007