Loop Cust-Ivent - need one instance of customer and many instances of inventory

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by jason, Oct 10, 2003.

  1. jason

    jason Guest

    Access 2000:

    I have a customer-inventory table I need to loop through and compile a list
    of all the inventory items the customer is tracking. The problem I am
    finding is that a simple loop will pull out the customer details each time
    their is an inventory item listed....I need to get the customer out ONCE and
    list his items....is there an elegant way to do this:

    Here is the table:
    Cust-Invent Table

    CustID InvenID
    101 356
    101 222
    101 187
    55 34
    55 123

    But I need to get the extract it to my ASP page like this:

    101
    ----

    ---

    If I simply loop the table I will repeat the customer details which I do not
    want want. I just want to get the CustID and then list the inventory items
    underneath (and send an email to him) and then rs.movenext to the next
    record....

    I really appreciate any help here...
    Jason
    jason, Oct 10, 2003

  2. jason

    Bob Barrows Guest

    1. Create this saved query called qGetCustInv in your Access database:
    Select CustID,InventID FROM Cust-Invent
    ORDER BY CustID,InventID

    2. In your asp page:
    <%
    dim cn, rs, ar, iRow, curCust, newCust
    'open a connection using cn
    set rs = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
    cn.qGetCustInv rs
    if not rs.eof then ar = rs.GetRows
    rs.close: set rs = nothing
    cn.close: set cn = nothing
    if isarray(ar) then
    curCust = ar(0,0)
    response.write "<table border=0>"
    For iRow = 0 to ubound(ar,2)
    newCust = ar(0,i)
    if newCust <> curCust then
    curCust = newCust
    response.write "<tr><td colspan=2>"
    response.write curCust
    response.write "</td></tr>"
    end if
    response.write ar(1,i)
    response.write "</td></tr>"
    next
    response.write "</table>"
    erase ar
    else
    response.write "No records"
    end if

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows, Oct 10, 2003

  3. jason

    jason Guest

    Hey Bob...this does not appear to solve the problem.....when I run your
    script for my query I get the following and only the following for the first
    customer in the query:

    101 (hidden)

    Thus, it appears to be finding the first customer record and listing the
    yacht attached to that customer 3 times (matching the record count for all
    the records in my table). It ignores the 2 other customer records and their
    yacht inventory items.

    I followed your general instructions for my existing query which is slightly
    more complex but nevertheless should work:

    PARAMETERS CID Long;
    SELECT tblCustomer.CustomerID, tblPageWatch.ListingsID AS ListingsID,
    qry_ListingsPriceChanges.NewPrice, qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Original_Price,
    qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Name, qry_ListingsPriceChanges.tblCompany.Company,
    qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Model, qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Size_ID,
    qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Hull_Number, qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Year,
    qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Location_Status,
    qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Yacht_Type, qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Market_Status,
    qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Charter_Status,
    qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Broker_Name, qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Broker_Email,
    tblCustomer.first_name, tblCustomer.last_name, tblCustomer.email_address,
    qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Condition, qry_ListingsPriceChanges.Insertion_Date
    FROM tblCustomer INNER JOIN (qry_ListingsPriceChanges INNER JOIN
    tblPageWatch ON qry_ListingsPriceChanges.tblListings.ListingsID =
    tblPageWatch.ListingsID) ON tblCustomer.CustomerID = tblPageWatch.CustomerID
    WHERE ((([CID]) Is Null)) OR (((tblCustomer.CustomerID)=[CID]))
    ORDER BY tblCustomer.CustomerID, tblPageWatch.ListingsID ;

    What am I doing wrong?

    Many thanks
    Jason

    jason, Oct 10, 2003
  4. jason

    Me Guest

    I would use this as a reference
    (http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2241), it does what you are
    looking for but uses 2 tables opposed to 1. The key is
    setting a variable to nothing, reading the first record,
    comparing the variable to the first records variable, if
    not matched, move new value to the variable, write out the
    101 the write out the details, if it is matched, just
    write out the details. I hope that helps.

    Me, Oct 10, 2003
  5. jason

    jason Guest

    Thanks - but this is not helping.... I have already optimized my structure
    by employing a complex join in the jet engine...... I am not really sure
    how to re-adapt my db and asp code to fit that model...

    I mean, I have the damn Cust ID and Inventory ID already in my query...there
    has just got to be a way to make sure the Customer ID (and related customer
    info fields in query) show up ONCE with multiple inventory items listed....

    Can someone help me get my head around this...Bobs suggestion seems to fall
    short....I cannot pinpoint where the script if flawed as I am no array
    expert. It appears that If I take this section and place it outside the For
    Loop I end up with one inventory item as oppossed to 3 repeats:

    response.write ar(1,i) & " + " & ar(4,i)
    response.write "</td></tr>"
    response.write "</table>"

    But, I am at a loss as to how to get the script to loop for the individual
    customer and show just the boats related to him. Full code:

    dim cnn, rs, ar, iRow, curCust, newCust
    cnn.Open strCon
    '//------------------------------ PAGEWATCH
    SQL -------------------------------
    SQL="EXEC [qry_PageWatch+PriceChanges] @CID=NULL,@LID=NULL" '//This
    '//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -
    set rs = cnn.execute(SQL) '//This

    'open a connection using cn
    'set rs = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
    'cnn.qGetCustInv rs

    if not rs.eof then ar = rs.GetRows
    rs.close: set rs = nothing
    cnn.close: set cn = nothing
    if isarray(ar) then
    curCust = ar(0,0)
    Response.Write curCust
    response.write "<table border=0>"
    ' b=0
    For iRow = 0 to ubound(ar,2)
    ' b=b+1
    'Response.Write b
    newCust = ar(0,i)
    if newCust <> curCust then
    curCust = newCust
    response.write "<tr><td colspan=2>"
    response.write curCust & "hi"
    response.write "</td></tr>"
    end if
    '//Response.Write "hi"
    next
    response.write ar(1,i) & " + " & ar(4,i)
    response.write "</td></tr>"
    response.write "</table>"
    erase ar
    else
    response.write "No records"
    end if

    jason, Oct 10, 2003
  6. jason

    Bob Barrows Guest

    See below for error correction:

    Bob Barrows, Oct 10, 2003
  7. jason

    jason Guest

    Hi Bob - did you post it below....I cannot see your changes?

    jason, Oct 10, 2003
  8. jason

    Bob Barrows Guest

    It's inline. Here: I'll mark it better:

    **************************************
    >>> For iRow = 0 to ubound(ar,2)
    >>> newCust = ar(0,i)
    >>> if newCust <> curCust then
    >>> curCust = newCust
    >>> response.write "<tr><td colspan=2>"
    >>> response.write curCust
    >>> response.write "</td></tr>"
    >>> end if
    >>> response.write ar(1,i)
    >>> response.write "</td></tr>"
    >>> next

    Bob Barrows, Oct 10, 2003
  9. jason

    jason Guest

    Hi Bob - no go - it still only:

    1. Lists one customer
    2. It repeats the first inventory item for that customer the same number of
    times as the record count for the customers in the table. In this case,
    three times.
    3. It does not show the other inventory item related to this customer. It
    comes out like this:

    200 (CustomerID)
    215 ("CatPeople")
    215 ("CatPeople")
    215 ("CatPeople")

    It does not show the other vessel listed for this customer: 216 ("Ballyhoo")

    ....And...

    Its ignoring the next customer record: 201

    ...and its...related inventory item: 216 ("Ballyhoo")

    - Jason

    CODE:

    dim cnn, rs, ar, iRow, curCust, newCust
    cnn.Open strCon
    '//------------------------------ PAGEWATCH
    SQL -------------------------------
    SQL="EXEC [qry_PageWatch+PriceChanges] @CID=NULL,@LID=NULL" '//This
    '//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -
    '//This

    'open a connection using cn
    set rs = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
    set rs = cnn.execute(sql)
    if not rs.eof then ar = rs.GetRows
    rs.close: set rs = nothing
    cnn.close: set cnn = nothing
    '//*********************************************

    '//**************************************

    jason, Oct 10, 2003
  10. jason

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Damn! Change the i's to iRow. For example
    newCust = ar(0,i)
    should be
    newCust = ar(0,iRow)

    Bob

    Bob Barrows, Oct 10, 2003
  11. jason

    jason Guest

    Ok - that almosts works but:

    1. It only seems to see the first customer
    2. It still duplicates the second inventory item

    ....you can see216 is showing up twice while customer 201 is not being
    displayed....

    Regards

    jason, Oct 10, 2003
  12. jason

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Did you replace the i in both cases? The code works fine for me (I tested it
    this time). Here it is again:
    <%
    'this is the tested version
    dim cn, rs, ar, iRow, curCust, newCust
    'open a connection using cn
    set cn=server.CreateObject("adodb.connection")
    cn.Open "provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;" & _
    "data source=" & Server.MapPath("dbfiles/db15.mdb")
    set rs = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
    cn.qGetCustInv rs
    if not rs.eof then ar = rs.GetRows
    rs.close: set rs = nothing
    cn.close: set cn = nothing
    if isarray(ar) then
    curCust = ar(0,0)
    response.write "<table border=1>"
    response.write "<tr><td colspan=2>"
    response.write curCust
    response.write "</td></tr>"
    For iRow = 0 to ubound(ar,2)
    newCust = ar(0,iRow)
    if newCust <> curCust then
    curCust = newCust
    response.write "<tr><td colspan=2>"
    response.write curCust
    response.write "</td></tr>"
    end if
    response.write ar(1,iRow)
    response.write "</td></tr>"
    next
    response.write "</table>"
    erase ar
    else
    response.write "No records"
    end if

    %>
    Bob Barrows, Oct 10, 2003
  13. jason

    jason Guest

    Allriiiiiiight! That works like a bomb - I guess it the iRows did it....

    Many thanks Bob for your help....

    I am going to try and see if I can pass these values to an outgoing email on
    the fly to each customer....maybe I could pick your brains laters in this
    same thread?

    jason, Oct 10, 2003