Loop Form - extract display 'value' as well as form value?

Guest

While I can extract the option value from the following:

<Select name='Keystring' MULTIPLE>
<option value='1' name='status'>Pending</option>
</select>

I cannot seem to extract the corresponding 'display' value when I do a
For...Next Loop:

for each keystring in Request.Form("Keystring")

keystring=request("keystring")

Next

How do I aslo get hold of that 'display' value eg 'Pending'...is it
possible?

Thanks
Jason

Paxton

While I can extract the option value from the following:

<Select name='Keystring' MULTIPLE>
<option value='1' name='status'>Pending</option>
</select>

I cannot seem to extract the corresponding 'display' value when I do a
For...Next Loop:

for each keystring in Request.Form("Keystring")

keystring=request("keystring")

Next

How do I aslo get hold of that 'display' value eg 'Pending'...is it
possible?

Thanks
Jason

You can't. If you want to retrieve "Pending", make it the value. Why
have you got a value of 1? Does it relate to a database key?

Incidentally, the <option> element does not have a name attribute, so
name='status' serves no use to you at all.

/P.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

While I can extract the option value from the following:

<Select name='Keystring' MULTIPLE>
<option value='1' name='status'>Pending</option>
</select>

I cannot seem to extract the corresponding 'display' value when I do a

Of course you can't. That is not a piece of information that is passed along
with a form submission. Only form values are sent.
How do I aslo get hold of that 'display' value eg 'Pending'...is it
possible?
Several options:
a. Store it in a hidden field - downside: more html sent to client
b. Create a 2-dimensional array containing all the data used to build your
option elements. Store it in Session or Application, depending on the
volatility of your data - downside: arrays are not easy to search without
possibly looping through all te elements
c. Create an xml document containing all the data used to build your option
elements. Either store it in a file, in Session, or in Application depending
on the volatility of the data - downside: learning curve if you've never
used the xml parser

Bob Barrows