Loosing Session Values from script to script

Mirovk

The onclick action associated to my form´s radio buttons call to a
vbscript were the session values are changed, this happens correctly
but with the onclick action associated to my continue button always
shows the value =1 instead the values selected under my radio buttons
(Values= 4,3 or 1)

I am showing the code.

Ideas welcome.

Thanks....

1.- Radio Buttons:
name="btn_tipo_pago" value="3" >
name="btn_tipo_pago" value="4">
name="btn_tipo_pago" value="1" >

2.- Script for handling onclick event (shows the correct values
assigned at the radio button):

<SCRIPT FOR="btn_tipo_pago" EVENT="onclick" LANGUAGE="VBScript">
Dim oElement, oElements, oRadio
Dim sValue
set oElements = Document.frmdir.Elements
for each oElement in oElements
if oElement.Type= "radio" and oElement.Checked = True then
set oRadio = oElement
Exit for
End if
next
sValue = oRadio.value
************ IN sValue THERE IS THE VALUE OF THE RADIO BUTTON SELECTED
*************
if sValue=3 then
<%chk_pago=3%>
alert <%=chk_pago%>
<%session("tipo_pago") = chk_pago%>
alert("<%=Session("tipo_pago")%>")
else
if sValue=4 then
<%chk_pago=4%>
alert <%=chk_pago%>
<%session("tipo_pago") = chk_pago%>
alert("<%=Session("tipo_pago")%>")
else
if sValue=1 then
<%chk_pago=1%>
alert <%=chk_pago%>
<%session("tipo_pago") = chk_pago%>
alert("<%=Session("tipo_pago")%>")
else
alert "Error"
end if
end if
end if
</script>

3.- Continue button:
<a name="continuar" class="normal_sub" style="cursor:hand;">Finalizar
Compra</a>

4.- Script to check if the values assigned were correct (it´s
suppoused becase were show correctly on the last script, but it´s not
because always shows the "1" as value for both variable)

<SCRIPT FOR="continuar" EVENT="onclick" LANGUAGE="VBScript">
alert <%=chk_pago%>
alert("<%=Session("tipo_pago")%>")
</script>

Evertjan.

Mirovk wrote on 22 aug 2006 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
The onclick action associated to my formïs radio buttons call to a
vbscript were the session values are changed, this happens correctly
but with the onclick action associated to my continue button always
shows the value =1 instead the values selected under my radio buttons
(Values= 4,3 or 1) [....]

<SCRIPT FOR="btn_tipo_pago" EVENT="onclick" LANGUAGE="VBScript">

Wait a minute - you're talking .NET aren't you?

This is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.NET is totally different.

Try over at microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.

Mirovk

Hi,
Yes this is classic ASP not .NET
If you can help me I will appreciatte.
Thanks,
Javier

Evertjan. ha escrito:
[...]

[please do not toppost on usenet]
Yes this is classic ASP not .NET

I doubt that. If so it does not work that way.

With classical ASP

if sValue=3 then
<%session("tipo_pago") = 3 %>
else
if sValue=4 then
<%session("tipo_pago") = 4 %>

an onclick [clientside!] action cannot do a serverside action,
like changing a session variable's value.
If you can help me I will appreciatte.

Setting a session variable as a result of an onclick needs a trip to the
server, usually by submitting a <form>, [but could be don by AJAX, etc.]

I even doubt you can do the above in asp.net,
but that is not my experise,
and off-topic in this NG.

[btw: vbscript has "elseif",
which would help you simplifying your code,
by getting rid of the multiple "end if"s.]

[btw: clientside vbscript works only on IE.]

Dave Anderson

Mirovk said:
sValue = oRadio.value
************ IN sValue THERE IS THE VALUE OF THE RADIO BUTTON SELECTED
*************
if sValue=3 then
<%chk_pago=3%>
alert <%=chk_pago%>
<%session("tipo_pago") = chk_pago%>
alert("<%=Session("tipo_pago")%>")
else
if sValue=4 then

ASP is stateless (all web technologoes are, for that matter):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateless_server

The server has no knowledge of client-side variables, and the client has no
knowledge of server-side variables. Those variables don't even exist at the
same time.

If you want to pass data from the client to the server, you must package it
into a request. The data can be carried in the querystring or in the request
headers (cookies or form POSTs).

To get data from the server to the client, you must write a complete
document that contains the data in a format that allows extraction.