    object files. If I recompile the same source code with imake on
    solaris, i m getting the binary of different size. Is it because of
    different compilation date and time?
    linux_bp, Jun 23, 2006

  2. linux_bp

    Pep Guest

    linux_bp wrote:

    > I had deleted my object files accidently. Now to analyse a core i need
    > object files. If I recompile the same source code with imake on
    > solaris, i m getting the binary of different size. Is it because of
    > different compilation date and time?

    Are you sure the source has not been modified in any way, or the libraries
    you link against have not changed or that you have specified different
    optimisation levels?
    Pep, Jun 23, 2006

  3. linux_bp

    Ian Collins Guest

    Pep wrote:
    > linux_bp wrote:
    >

    >>I had deleted my object files accidently. Now to analyse a core i need
    >>object files. If I recompile the same source code with imake on
    >>solaris, i m getting the binary of different size. Is it because of
    >>different compilation date and time?

    > Are you sure the source has not been modified in any way, or the libraries
    > you link against have not changed or that you have specified different
    > optimisation levels?

    Or any of the tools have been updated.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Jun 23, 2006
  4. linux_bp

    Jim Langston Guest

    "linux_bp" <> wrote in message
    >I had deleted my object files accidently. Now to analyse a core i need
    > object files. If I recompile the same source code with imake on
    > solaris, i m getting the binary of different size. Is it because of
    > different compilation date and time?

    If everything is exactly the same, you should get the same file size,
    although there may actually be trivial differences in the binary (the
    compiler may put the date/time in the executable).

    If you are getting a different executable size, something has changed.
    Maybe a compile switch has changed (different optimization), maybe a header
    or source file has changed, or something. Unfortunately, I can't tell you
    what.

    That is why a lot of shops will put together everything used to make a build
    and archive it so they can get the same executable to go back to a version.
    Jim Langston, Jun 23, 2006