Lost UTF-8 encoding on all files while converting ASP.NET web from 1.1 to 2.0

Christian Mairoll

Hello,

I'm maintaining a multi language website and have tried to convert it from
ASP.NET 1.1 to 2.0 using Visual Studio 2005. When it had finished, I
noticed, that it converted all my aspx pages to western european codepage.
The original files were saved in UTF-8 (with signature). All my webpages
that require UTF-8 like the Japanese ones are completely destroyed, they
only contain ??????? sequences now between the html tags. :(

How can this happen? And how can I convert my web without losing the UTF-8
encoding? Manually saving more than 1000 files with the new codepage isn't
really an option for me.

Thanks!

Emsi
www.emsisoft.com - a-squared Anti-Malware

Mike Placentra II

You should be able to control the output encoding with web.config

<configuration>
<system.web>
<globalization
requestEncoding="utf-8"
responseEncoding="utf-8" />

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> You should be able to control the output encoding with web.config

Yes and, to complete the configuration, the file encoding with :

fileEncoding="utf-8"