    Was thinking about reading from primary display driver memory but not
    sure if it can be parsed into an image . . . Any thoughts?

    , Jul 5, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Anyone got an idea of capturing a screen without api and or
    > opengl/directx?
    > Was thinking about reading from primary display driver memory but not
    > sure if it can be parsed into an image . . . Any thoughts?

    On Mac? Windows? Linux? The answer should already hint you that you
    are looking for a platform specific answer. There is no way to do this
    portably with Standard C++, the topic of this group. Check the FAQs (you
    should have done so before posting already!) for where to best post this
    kind of question:

    hth
    --
    jb

    Jakob Bieling, Jul 5, 2006

  3. Jim Langston Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Anyone got an idea of capturing a screen without api and or
    > opengl/directx?
    > Was thinking about reading from primary display driver memory but not
    > sure if it can be parsed into an image . . . Any thoughts?

    Reading direct from video memory should work depending on if your OS lets
    you read it. I know at one time on Microsoft platforms video memory started
    at C800 I'm not sure if it still does for all graphic modes. I'm not even
    sure where to find out where it starts if that's not it.

    In other OSes it is probably somewhere else, and you may not have access to
    it. So ask in a newsgroup applicable to your OS.

    Jim Langston, Jul 7, 2006