"Low-level vs High-level Programming" and a lot more...

See question number 2...

• Microprocessor programmer ( ASM, C )

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VHDL programmer (maybe that would be called FPGA programmer?)

• C++/Java programmer, high level programmer (of some kind but not games..)

• Game programmer in C++

• Or maybe none of the above was good becuase....

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi I'm not sure if this is the right place for for thread but I give it a try and if some admin thinks that it should be in any other part of the forum just feel free to move it.. :)

My question is all about education and my future a guess, so if you should have any chances to help me out I am going to start tell a little about my self:

Yesterday I just finished the first half year of my University education at Umeå University of Sweden. The program I go to are called "Applied electronics" if you should translate it straight true. When I finish I will be an electronic engineer with specialty in embedded systems or electronic construction. I have always been interested in computers and electronics but at high school in Sweden we choose like technical or social concentrations but I went with the natural science concentration cause I had pretty easy to learn stuff in school and the natural science had the most math, physics etc... That would say one of the best ones if you want to continue studding after high school.

So after that I started at this education than I am on now and we have learn some about analog electronic and analog analysis and we have also studding some digital courses including the basics of digital electronics and then a little about how to apply it in ASM for PIC processors and some VHDL for an GAL22V10 that we used at school.

Now you know a little about me, then it that I am also very interested in Linux and computers in general. The last two years the most of my "computer/electronic" free time has been about learning Linux and much around it. And yeah programming is something I have always been interested in but the lasted years most of my time has been about Linux and not programming, but now I have started to learn C++ (have studding it some before as well) a little more and that it is really fun. The C++ I have learned at home, but when we learned about ASM and VHDL at school I thought that was really fun to. Later next semester we will have some courses in C, and the second year will learn some java. Plus we read more about VHDL as well next year and more about microprocessor to. And if I should come back to the C++, I have just started out with some simple game programming with SDL and some openGL and that seams very fun as well. But sometimes if feels like I don't know want I want work with later on... It is many things that are interesting. But now we are starting to get to know me, but I had some questions as well....

1. First off since I have been looking on some game making now off course the thought about working with it has crossed my mind. But at the same time I have never been a "gamer".... I don't think that I have ever made any game totally cleared, I mean make it to the end of the game. I guess I am more interested in the programming behind. But to question how hard is it to get a Job as an game programmer?
And of course how hard is it compared to get a job as an "low-level" programmer (FGPAs MicroControllers) or compared to other programmer jobs like system-programmers in c/c++.

2. After you have read the above text, if you wear me what kind of job would go you for? More than one answer is allowed...

a, Microprocessor programmer ( ASM, C )
b, VHDL programmer (maybe that would be called FPGA programmer?)
c, C++/Java programmer, high level programmer (of some kind but not games..)
d, Game programmer in C++
e, Or maybe none of the above was good because....

3. About Microprocessors and FPGAs it would be fun to know what business is the biggest one? Developing for microcontrollers or for FPGAs, or is this businesses often together? Like many people that works this one of them often works with the other one as well...

4. Maybe this is a hard question to ask but in general, who makes the most money? The low level programmer (for me programming electronics etc) or the high level programmer (programs on for PC computer etc). I know its hard question salary is something that is always interesting even if it is not always the most important thing.

I sorry for writing this much but I just so confused right now I need to straight up my mind a little... So thanks if you give an reply!

Best Regards
Robert

Last edited:

Ask a Question