Lua, Lunatic and Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Benson, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. John Benson

    John Benson Guest

    Hi, I checked out Lua as much out of curiosity about its Brazilian
    background as for any other reason. It seems to be a project centered in the
    PUC (Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro). Since Brazil
    produced Antônio Carlos Jobim, I figured I better check out Lua.

    After checking out www.lua.org and searching for comparisons with Python,
    the most informative document I ran across was this:

    http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaVersusPython

    I'll just sum up what I think I found out about Lua and let people comment
    if I've gotten anything wrong:

    Lua is an embeddable scripting language popular with game developers who are
    very sensitive to footprint and speed. In Python, we tend to get most
    excited about elegance and conceptual efficiency. When speed becomes
    important, someone goes out and reimplements useful things as C extensions
    (as in pickle/cpickle).

    There seems to be a Lispy background to Lua, as there is to Python.

    The Lua community sounds pretty excited, and seems to be recapitulating the
    fervor of early Python adopters. We'll probably have to sit up and take
    notice once there's an O'Reilly animal book on it, or if we need to write a
    game.

    I'll make some predictions now: in a few years there will be flame wars at
    lua.org between the people wanting to keep distinguishing characteristics of
    Lua (fooprint and speed) intact, versus the incorrigible programmers who
    will inevitably add feature after feature to their favorite language until
    it approaches Pythonesque proportions. Among these features, of course, will
    be memory- and infrastructure-intensive operations leading to language
    bloat. In short, there is (and will most likely be) nothing new under the
    sun as far as evangelical fervor and the dynamics of programming language
    evolution go.

    I'll cross post to lua.org and see what happens: Um fã de Python deseja boa
    sorte à turma de Lua!

    John Benson, Dec 13, 2003