lwp package head question

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by T W Hu, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. T W Hu

    T W Hu Guest

    T W Hu, Aug 16, 2005

  2. T W Hu

    Paul Lalli Guest

    T W Hu wrote:
    > When I do
    > HEAD www.tmn.pt
    > it tells me 404 Not found.
    > But when I do
    > GET www.tmn.pt
    > it gives me the page.
    >
    > Is this a bug in the lwp package or web server setup problem?

    I don't suppose you've taken the obvious debugging step of attempting
    the same steps with another server? That should be able to give you a
    clue as to whether or not there's something wrong with the code, or
    something wrong with that specific error that's causing problems.

    > more info:
    > HEAD www.tmn.pt/index.shtml
    > 200 OK
    > HEAD www.tmn.pt/default.shtml
    > 200 OK
    > HEAD www.tmn.pt/index.html
    > 404 not found

    You're missing one more critical piece of information here. What about
    a GET on these specific filenames? Do their response codes match up
    with the corresponding HEADs?

    Please do as suggested by the Posting Guidelines, and provide a
    short-but-complete script that we can run which demonstrates the issue
    you're having.

    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, Aug 16, 2005

  3. T W Hu

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Paul Lalli wrote:
    > T W Hu wrote:
    > > When I do
    > > HEAD www.tmn.pt
    > > it tells me 404 Not found.
    > > But when I do
    > > GET www.tmn.pt
    > > it gives me the page.
    > >
    > > Is this a bug in the lwp package or web server setup problem?

    > I don't suppose you've taken the obvious debugging step of attempting
    > the same steps with another server? That should be able to give you a
    > clue as to whether or not there's something wrong with the code, or
    > something wrong with that specific error that's causing problems.

    Pardon me. That should say "with that specific server that's causing
    problems".

    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, Aug 16, 2005
  4. T W Hu

    T W Hu Guest

    "Christian Winter" <> wrote in ...
    > Obviously a server thing:
    >
    > myclient:~ # telnet www.tmn.pt 80
    > Trying 194.65.141.2...
    > Connected to www.tmn.pt.
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > HEAD / HTTP/1.1
    > Host: www.tmn.pt
    >
    > HTTP/1.1 404 Not found
    > Server: Netscape-Enterprise/4.0
    > Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:37:16 GMT
    > Set-Cookie: TMN=217.160.174.213-1124206636.927625; path=/; expires=Sun,
    > 1-Jan-2012 23:59:59 GMT

    Thanks for verifying it. An utitilty program uses this to check if the link
    is good or not.
    But this server gives me problem. I guess I have to put index.shtml after
    the server name
    for this one.

    HEAD -p http://myproxyhost www.tmn.pt
    404 Not found