Paul Lalli

T said:
When I do
HEAD www.tmn.pt
it tells me 404 Not found.
But when I do
GET www.tmn.pt
it gives me the page.

Is this a bug in the lwp package or web server setup problem?

I don't suppose you've taken the obvious debugging step of attempting
the same steps with another server? That should be able to give you a
clue as to whether or not there's something wrong with the code, or
something wrong with that specific error that's causing problems.
more info:
HEAD www.tmn.pt/index.shtml
200 OK
HEAD www.tmn.pt/default.shtml
200 OK
HEAD www.tmn.pt/index.html
404 not found

You're missing one more critical piece of information here. What about
a GET on these specific filenames? Do their response codes match up
with the corresponding HEADs?

Please do as suggested by the Posting Guidelines, and provide a
short-but-complete script that we can run which demonstrates the issue
you're having.

Paul Lalli

Paul Lalli

Paul said:
I don't suppose you've taken the obvious debugging step of attempting
the same steps with another server? That should be able to give you a
clue as to whether or not there's something wrong with the code, or
something wrong with that specific error that's causing problems.

Pardon me. That should say "with that specific server that's causing
problems".

Paul Lalli

T W Hu

Christian Winter said:
Obviously a server thing:

myclient:~ # telnet www.tmn.pt 80
Trying 194.65.141.2...
Connected to www.tmn.pt.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.tmn.pt

HTTP/1.1 404 Not found
Server: Netscape-Enterprise/4.0
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:37:16 GMT
Set-Cookie: TMN=217.160.174.213-1124206636.927625; path=/; expires=Sun,
1-Jan-2012 23:59:59 GMT

Thanks for verifying it. An utitilty program uses this to check if the link
is good or not.
But this server gives me problem. I guess I have to put index.shtml after
the server name
for this one.

HEAD -p http://myproxyhost www.tmn.pt
404 Not found
Connection: close
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:30:13 GMT
Server: Netscape-Enterprise/4.0
Client-Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:34:15 GMT
Client-Peer: 192.11.226.124:8000
Client-Response-Num: 1
Set-Cookie: TMN=192.11.226.120-1124224214.39626; path=/; expires=Sun,
01-Jan-2012 23:59:59 GMT