LWP::Simple and utf8 problem

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Thomas =?ISO-8859-15?Q?G=F6tz?=, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I want to retrieve a webpage that includes unicode characters using the
    LWP::Simple module. But how can I tell LWP::Simple which coding it should
    use as I haven't found anything concerning coding in the docs.

    I use the following:

    ---
    #!/usr/bin/perl -w

    use strict;
    use warnings;
    use LWP::Simple;

    my $file = "tmpfile";
    my $url;

    $url  = "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/efetch.fcgi?";
    $url .= "db=Pubmed&retmax=500&id=15017969&retmode=xml";

    getstore($url, $file);
    exit;
    -----

    As it seems, the unicode characters are not correctly stored in the file. As
    I'm not very familiar with utf8 stuff, I'd like to ask for a hint on how to
    correctly store utf8-encoded webpages in a local file...!?

    Tom

    Thomas =?ISO-8859-15?Q?G=F6tz?=, Apr 19, 2004