LWP::Simple Protocol scheme not supported

J. Gleixner

LWP::Simple is working fine one one machine but on another one it fails
as below.
What might be wrong/missing?
# perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'getprint "http://directory.intra.company.com"'
501 Protocol scheme '' is not supported
<URL:http://directory.intra.company.com>

Probably need SSL support for LWP.

Try:

telnet directory.intra.company.com 80
GET / HTTP/1.0

And see if it's redirecting to https.

I'm surprised there isn't an 'https' there. If you search the Internet
for that error, you'll learn both how to find the answer to these things
next time and what's needed to fix it. Or you could simply go to the
following:

http://search.cpan.org/src/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.805/README.SSL

neil.shadrach

A similar UserAgent call from the same machine works:
perl -MLWP::UserAgent -e 'my $ua=LWP::UserAgent->new;my
$r=$ua->get("http://directory.intra.company.com");print
"",($r->is_success?"OK".$r->content:"Failed".$r->status_line),"\n";'

The telnet result looks ok ( to me ):

Connected to directory.intra.company.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:49:30 GMT

Also the same LWP::Simple call works from a different machine.

I'm still puzzled