LWP::Useragent problem with https

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by usenet@isbd.co.uk, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm running a perl script that I downloaded, it requires various perl
    HTTP and LWP modules that I have installed using CPAN.

    However the script produces and error that says "Your LWP::UserAgent
    doesn't support the HTTPS protocol", but the CPAN install says:-

    Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/LWP/Protocol/GHTTP.pm
    Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/LWP/Protocol/data.pm
    Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/LWP/Protocol/nogo.pm
    Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/LWP/Protocol/https.pm
    Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/HTTP/Message.pm
    Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/HTTP/Status.pm

    So is there anything else I have to do to get LWP::UserAgent to
    support HTTPS or is it something wrong with the perl script I've
    downloaded?

    --
    Chris Green
    , Jun 9, 2005

  2. T W Hu Guest

    <> wrote ...
    [snap]
    > So is there anything else I have to do to get LWP::UserAgent to
    > support HTTPS or is it something wrong with the perl script I've
    > downloaded?

    I only installed openssl and Crypt-SSLeay for https.
    T W Hu, Jun 9, 2005

  3. mothra Guest

    wrote:

    > So is there anything else I have to do to get LWP::UserAgent to
    > support HTTPS or is it something wrong with the perl script I've
    > downloaded?

    perldoc LWPcook should give you what you need.

    Hope this helps

    Mothra
    mothra, Jun 9, 2005

    mothra <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > So is there anything else I have to do to get LWP::UserAgent to
    > > support HTTPS or is it something wrong with the perl script I've
    > > downloaded?

    > perldoc LWPcook should give you what you need.
    >
    > Hope this helps

    It would if I had LWPcook anywhere on my system, when I try the above
    I get 'No documentation found for "LWPcook".'

    I'll see if I can find it, thanks.

    --
    Chris Green
    , Jun 9, 2005

    mothra <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > So is there anything else I have to do to get LWP::UserAgent to
    > > support HTTPS or is it something wrong with the perl script I've
    > > downloaded?

    > perldoc LWPcook should give you what you need.
    >
    > Hope this helps

    Re: my previous Follow-up: LWPcook refers me to the README.SSL file
    found in the libwww-perl distribution. When I started all this I
    installed HTTP::Request which seemed to install a load of other stuff
    including LWP::UserAgent. Is this part of libwww-perl or is that
    something else that I also need?

    --
    Chris Green
    , Jun 9, 2005
  6. mothra Guest

    wrote:
    > Re: my previous Follow-up: LWPcook refers me to the README.SSL file
    > found in the libwww-perl distribution. When I started all this I
    > installed HTTP::Request which seemed to install a load of other stuff
    > including LWP::UserAgent. Is this part of libwww-perl or is that
    > something else that I also need?

    You need to install the libwww-perl distribution. If you are on a unix/linux
    system you can use CPAN to install it.
    perl -MCPAN -e shell

    cpan> i /libwww/
    Author LWWWP ("The libwww-perl mailing list" <>)
    Distribution G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.10.tar.gz
    Distribution G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.53.tar.gz
    Distribution G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.77.tar.gz
    Distribution G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.803.tar.gz

    Then

    cpan> install G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.803.tar.gz
    should work

    Hope this helps

    Mothra
    mothra, Jun 9, 2005
  7. In article <>, wrote:

    > mothra <> wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > So is there anything else I have to do to get LWP::UserAgent to
    > > > support HTTPS or is it something wrong with the perl script I've
    > > > downloaded?

    > > perldoc LWPcook should give you what you need.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps
    > >

    > It would if I had LWPcook anywhere on my system, when I try the above
    > I get 'No documentation found for "LWPcook".'

    thats because he _meant_ "perldoc lwpcook" (all in lower case)

    if that doesn't work, you need to fix your lwp installation (or possibly
    your perldoc or perl installation)

    lwpcook is also available at:

    http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-5.803/lwpcook.pod

    cheers,

    big
    --
    On my tombstone they will carve, "IT NEVER GOT FAST
    ENOUGH FOR ME."' - Hunter S Thompson, 1937-2005 RIP
    Iain Chalmers, Jun 10, 2005

    mothra <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Re: my previous Follow-up: LWPcook refers me to the README.SSL file
    > > found in the libwww-perl distribution. When I started all this I
    > > installed HTTP::Request which seemed to install a load of other stuff
    > > including LWP::UserAgent. Is this part of libwww-perl or is that
    > > something else that I also need?

    > You need to install the libwww-perl distribution. If you are on a unix/linux
    > system you can use CPAN to install it.
    > perl -MCPAN -e shell
    >
    > cpan> i /libwww/
    > Author LWWWP ("The libwww-perl mailing list" <>)
    > Distribution G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.10.tar.gz
    > Distribution G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.53.tar.gz
    > Distribution G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.77.tar.gz
    > Distribution G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.803.tar.gz
    >
    > Then
    >
    > cpan> install G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.803.tar.gz
    > should work

    OK, thanks, I seem to have got there now, the perl script no longer
    claims that it can't handle HTTPS.

    I'm a died in the wool Unix C/C++ programmer by trade and I'm just
    dabbling in perl to run (and maybe modify) some mail utilities on my
    home Linux system. I knew how to get the modules this particular
    script required from CPAN but that didn't give me quite all I needed.

    Thanks for the help everyone.

    --
    Chris Green
    , Jun 10, 2005