Lynx Browser, fun stuff

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jl, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. jl

    jl Guest

    I'm going to add a section to my web site about the Lynx browser and some of
    the fun and useful things you can do with it at the command line, or along
    with Perl, wget, etc., e.g.,

    $ lynx -dump "http://tips.webdesign10.com" >file1.txt

    or

    $ lynx -dump -image_links "http://whatever-site" | egrep -o
    "http:.*(gif|jpg)" | wget -xi -

    My site is at:
    http://tips.webdesign10.com

    I'm writing the new page now. I'm not an advanced Lynx (or Linux) user but
    I've been learning about it and want to share the information on my web
    site. I think Lynx is a useful and fun tool but not very many people know
    about it.

    If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the Lynx browser
    at the command line or in Perl, can you post them here? (e.g., SEO or other
    practical uses) I'll give credit and a link to your site if I use the
    information on the page. (Alternatively, contact me through the form on my
    web site.)

    Thanks
    jl, Jun 28, 2005

  2. jl wrote:
    > If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the Lynx browser
    > at the command line or in Perl, can you post them here?

    Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx should
    probably be more interested in figuring out why their girlfriend is
    made of plastic...

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jun 28, 2005

  3. jl

    John Bokma Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote:

    > jl wrote:
    >> If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the Lynx
    >> browser at the command line or in Perl, can you post them here?

    > Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx
    > should probably be more interested in figuring out why their
    > girlfriend is made of plastic...

    I know, and my gf isn't :) It's just getting your priorities right ;-)

    --
    John Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
    Experienced (web) developer: http://castleamber.com/
    John Bokma, Jun 28, 2005
  4. jl

    mbstevens Guest

    jl wrote:

    > If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the Lynx browser
    > at the command line or in Perl, can you post them here? (e.g., SEO or other
    > practical uses) I'll give credit and a link to your site if I use the
    > information on the page.

    Lynx allows you to search for non-pictorial information quicker than on
    a GUI browser, even if images turned off on the GUI browser. You don't
    have to remove your hands from the keyboard to mouse about, and it's
    lightning fast -- but it does take a short learning period to get
    this down. (Someone once asked me, "when do I get my hour back?"
    All I could say was, "Trust me, you will.")

    It is handy when searching for information about programming. Travis'
    rejection of this fine command line tool is probably based an inflated
    value of plastic graphical interfaces.
    ;)

    You can use several instances of it running and tabbed together with
    other terminal windows in fluxbox. Since it eats little memory, it is
    more practical to do this than with a GUI browser, although you could
    just as simply use a GUI browser that has its own tabs.

    The new kid on the text-browser block is "Links", which you should also
    investigate.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com/cgi/mkatt.pl?name=linux/fluxbox
    mbstevens, Jun 28, 2005
  5. jl

    jl Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > jl wrote:
    >> If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the Lynx
    >> browser
    >> at the command line or in Perl, can you post them here?

    > Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx should
    > probably be more interested in figuring out why their girlfriend is
    > made of plastic...

    I wouldn't use Lynx for browsing websites... but it's a fast and easy way to
    get all the text and links out of a webpage (including alt text). I think
    it's quite useful.
    jl, Jun 28, 2005
  6. jl wrote:

    > "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > > jl wrote:
    > > > If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the
    > > > Lynx browser at the command line or in Perl, can you post them
    > > > here?

    > > Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx
    > > should probably be more interested in figuring out why their
    > > girlfriend is made of plastic...

    > I wouldn't use Lynx for browsing websites... but it's a fast and easy
    > way to get all the text and links out of a webpage (including alt
    > text). I think it's quite useful.

    Actually, I use Lynx myself when creating a new website, simply to
    check what it looks like in the "real thing" (and not just using the
    User Mode feature in Opera).

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Jun 28, 2005
  7. jl

    Borek Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:44:05 +0200, Travis Newbury
    <> wrote:

    >> If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the Lynx
    >> browser
    >> at the command line or in Perl, can you post them here?

    > Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx should
    > probably be more interested in figuring out why their girlfriend is
    > made of plastic...

    LOL, it wasn't John's post ;)

    Best,
    Borek
    --
    http://www.chembuddy.com - chemical calculators for labs and education
    BATE - program for pH calculations
    Borek, Jun 28, 2005
  8. jl

    John Bokma Guest

    Borek <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:44:05 +0200, Travis Newbury
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the Lynx
    >>> browser
    >>> at the command line or in Perl, can you post them here?

    >> Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx should
    >> probably be more interested in figuring out why their girlfriend is
    >> made of plastic...

    > LOL, it wasn't John's post ;)

    Which was obvious to most people I guess :) I rarely use Lynx, and my gf
    probably becomes less nice than Mrs Smith if you call her made of plastic
    in her face.

    John Bokma, Jun 28, 2005
  9. jl

    beefalo Guest

    John Bokma wrote:
    > Which was obvious to most people I guess :) I rarely use Lynx, and my gf
    > probably becomes less nice than Mrs Smith if you call her made of plastic
    > in her face.

    Hmm... I don't use Lynx, but I do use Links with some regularity. And
    while my girlfriend _claims_ she's not made of plastic, sometimes I have
    my doubts.

    There may be some truth to this theory.

    --beefalo
    beefalo, Jun 28, 2005
  10. jl

    Toby Inkster Guest

    mbstevens wrote:

    > The new kid on the text-browser block is "Links", which you should also
    > investigate.

    Hardly new -- it already has a 2.0 version with an optional GUI; and
    several spin-offs, including the rather nice eLinks.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jun 28, 2005
  11. jl

    cluedweasel Guest

    On 28 Jun 2005 10:44:05 -0700, "Travis Newbury"
    <> wrote:

    >jl wrote:
    >> If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the Lynx browser
    >> at the command line or in Perl, can you post them here?

    >Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx should
    >probably be more interested in figuring out why their girlfriend is
    >made of plastic...

    She isn't plastic, she's latex dammit!
    cluedweasel, Jun 29, 2005