    Anyone a suggestion?
    Thanks,
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Nico Schuyt

    m Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > My Lynx browser (from http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm) doesn't
    > work (anymore?) in Win XP.
    > I downloaded the 2.8.2rel.1 (old stable) from
    > http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm, unzipped to c:\lynx and changed
    > the lynx.bat:
    > @ECHO OFF
    > set home=c:\lynx
    > set temp=c:\tmp
    > set lynx_cfg=c:\lynx\lynx.cfg
    > lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

    http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html

    ....can be used for testing until you get it going.
    I browse with it under Linux sometimes, but found it
    more bother than the pain to to get it running under
    XP.

    --
    Cheers, m at http://www.mbstevens.com/
    m, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Nico Schuyt

    Whitecrest Guest

    Whitecrest, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:
    >m wrote
    >> http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html

    > Just checked whitecrest with it. And I loved what I saw. It looked
    > EXACTLY as I wanted ..

    Even better than in a high tech browser :)
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Whitecrest wrote:

    > Just checked whitecrest with it. And I loved what I saw. It looked
    > EXACTLY as I wanted it to in Lynx. (seriously)

    Is the money of Lynx users somehow tainted?
    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 21, 2003
  7. Nico Schuyt

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Whitecrest <> wrote:
    >In article <Zwpvb.8063$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html

    >Just checked whitecrest with it. And I loved what I saw. It looked
    >EXACTLY as I wanted it to in Lynx. (seriously)

    It says "Sorry, I can not present the materials on this site correctly
    with out the use of frames, javascript and Flash. You must use these
    if you are to expirience the site. Thank
    you."

    Ignoring the spelling error, this is what you want google to index?
    Google for "expirience the site" and "Whitecrest Studios " and see
    which one returns your site.

    Why mention Flash? I can't find any Flash on your site.

    And if you used a normal link with the target attribute (valid as
    you're using a transitional DTD) then the site would work just fine
    (work differently, but still work) in Lynx, or indeed any browser with
    no support for iframes and/or JS.

    I guess that you're just trying to be difficult.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Nov 21, 2003
  8. Nico Schuyt

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <fGrvb.1392$>,
    says...
    > > Just checked whitecrest with it. And I loved what I saw. It looked
    > > EXACTLY as I wanted it to in Lynx. (seriously)

    > Is the money of Lynx users somehow tainted?

    Nope, but they can't watch flash presentation can they. and that's want
    I want people to see.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Nov 21, 2003
  9. Nico Schuyt

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > It says "Sorry, I can not present the materials on this site correctly
    > with out the use of frames, javascript and Flash. You must use these
    > if you are to expirience the site. Thank
    > you."
    >
    > this is what you want google to index?

    No one will ever search for it in Google. So that is moot.

    > Why mention Flash? I can't find any Flash on your site.

    It's not there yet. Use to be, but I am moving it to another location.

    > And if you used a normal link with the target attribute (valid as
    > you're using a transitional DTD) then the site would work just fine
    > (work differently, but still work) in Lynx, or indeed any browser with
    > no support for iframes and/or JS.

    Nope, it is working exactly as I want it to.

    > I guess that you're just trying to be difficult.

    Different, never difficult.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Nov 21, 2003
  10. Nico Schuyt

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>, bednarz@fahr-zur-
    hoelle.org says...
    > >> Is the money of Lynx users somehow tainted?

    > > Nope, but they can't watch flash presentation can they.

    > I couldn't say, since the alternative evil empire doesn't have a plugin
    > for my OS, have they, but I do view images when browsing the web with
    > lynx, so I suspect that I could watch flash movies as well if there was
    > a plugin, couldn't I?

    You are free to watch it, change browsers. Pretty simple concept. If
    you Can't change browsers for one reason or another,then you are SOL.
    when it comes to flash. Your choice.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Nov 21, 2003
  11. Whitecrest <> writes:

    > In article <fGrvb.1392$>,
    > says...

    Please consider configuring your news client to produce a readable
    attribution line. Citing the (possibly real) name of the poster (if one
    is provided, which is usually the case) instead of the article ID would
    help a lot. Thanks.

    >> Is the money of Lynx users somehow tainted?

    > Nope, but they can't watch flash presentation can they.

    I couldn't say, since the alternative evil empire doesn't have a plugin
    for my OS, have they, but I do view images when browsing the web with
    lynx, so I suspect that I could watch flash movies as well if there was
    a plugin, couldn't I?

    --
    | ) Eric Bednarz
    -(
    Eric B. Bednarz, Nov 21, 2003
  12. Nico Schuyt

    picayunish Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote in news:3fbde928$0$213$:
    > My Lynx browser (from http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm) doesn't
    > work (anymore?) in Win XP.
    > I downloaded the 2.8.2rel.1 (old stable) from
    > http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm, unzipped to c:\lynx and
    > changed the lynx.bat:
    > @ECHO OFF
    > set home=c:\lynx
    > set temp=c:\tmp
    > set lynx_cfg=c:\lynx\lynx.cfg
    > lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
    >
    > Result: it starts up normally but after "Go" to an URL nothing is shown.
    > Anyone a suggestion?

    Try to use the .exe instead of the .bat
    I have no problems with 2.8.3.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Underconstruction
    picayunish, Nov 21, 2003
  13. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    picayunish wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote
    >> My Lynx browser (from http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm)
    >> doesn't work (anymore?) in Win XP.

    > Try to use the .exe instead of the .bat
    > I have no problems with 2.8.3.

    That's where I started :) Got a message like "document not found"
    New trial: Removed everything, downlaoded and installed again and
    experimented with the properties of the shortcut. Finally it works again.
    Sometimes I hate that computer.
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 21, 2003
  14. Nico Schuyt

    picayunish Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote in news:3fbe95c7$0$222$:
    > picayunish wrote:
    >> Nico Schuyt wrote
    >>> My Lynx browser (from http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm)
    >>> doesn't work (anymore?) in Win XP.

    >> Try to use the .exe instead of the .bat
    >> I have no problems with 2.8.3.

    > That's where I started :) Got a message like "document not found"
    > New trial: Removed everything, downlaoded and installed again and
    > experimented with the properties of the shortcut. Finally it works again.

    Oops. I ment 2.8.4pre5

    > Sometimes I hate that computer.

    But I love the DVD-Recordables for computers, especially when the are
    defect.
    picayunish, Nov 21, 2003
  15. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    picayunish wrote:
    > But I love the DVD-Recordables for computers, especially when the are
    > defect.

    At your age should feel passion for other things in life :)
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 21, 2003
  16. Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > Sometimes I hate that computer.

    No, you hate the OS on that computer. Install Debian and everything will
    be spiffy. :)
    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 22, 2003
  17. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >> Sometimes I hate that computer.

    > No, you hate the OS on that computer. Install Debian and everything
    > will be spiffy. :)

    In principle you are right. Problem is that about everybody uses Win as OS.
    Result will be that I still have to solve Win-problems for my customers (and
    linux ones for myself :)
    Cheers, Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 22, 2003
  18. Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

    > Whitecrest <> writes:
    >
    >> Nope, but they can't watch flash presentation can they.

    > I couldn't say, since the alternative evil empire doesn't have a plugin
    > for my OS,

    From your headers:

    So I assume you're using Linux.

    Flash 6 plugin for Linux:

    http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/site_ucsc.html

    Go get!

    Won't work with Lynx though. It's a Netscape-style plugin (also supported
    in Opera, Mozilla, etc) without a standalone executable.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 22, 2003
  19. Nico Schuyt

    picayunish Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote in news:3fbe9c61$0$192$:
    > picayunish wrote:
    >> But I love the DVD-Recordables for computers, especially when the are
    >> defect.

    > At your age should feel passion for other things in life :)

    Well, I had to write I'm found of repairing DVD-recordables.
    picayunish, Nov 22, 2003

    <http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/faq.html>

    | 8. Where is Flash for PowerPC Linux?
    |
    | It doesn't exist probably because Macromedia management doesn't
    | feel there is demand.

    And here's to Hypecrest:

    | Sign the Flash plugin for Linux/PPC petition.

    Since this is a web authoring group, here's some related fun:
    <http://www.maconlinux.org/sshots/pic10.jpg> (131.66KiB)
    I doubt that there is any other OS/architecture combination where that
    is possible (I don't meet the hardware requirements to do that,
    unfortunately).

    > Won't work with Lynx though. It's a Netscape-style plugin (also supported
    > in Opera, Mozilla, etc) without a standalone executable.

    That sucks anyway. For Losedoze, there is (or used to be, at least) a
    standalone player included; as to the subject line, it might still
    possible to view flash movies when browsing with lynx. :)

    --
    | ) Eric Bednarz
    -(
    Eric B. Bednarz, Nov 22, 2003