Lython

Discussion in 'Python' started by faulkner, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. faulkner

    faulkner Guest

    I have Lython!
    I want to make sure that anybody else who wants it can access it, so,
    unless Mr. Egan objects, I'm hosting it here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~faulkner612/programming/python/lython.zip
    I had to patch it a bit because the number of arguments to
    compiler.ast.Function.__init__ changed between 2.3 and 2.4, when
    decorators were introduced. I haven't tested it on 2.5 because the last
    time I upgraded python, my gentoo died.
    I also took the liberty of adding some features such as primitive
    interactivity, a '-c code' option, a '-h' option, an rc file
    '~/.lythonrc.ly', and a '-o file' option which dumps bytecode to file.
    I've slated developing support for *args, **kwargs, default arguments,
    += and -= etc., reader macros ala common lisp, classes,
    try...except...finally, and raise.

    For the curious, here are some other implementations of lisp in python:
    http://ibiblio.org/obp/py4fun/lisp/lisp.html
    http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/pyscheme/
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~yduppen/site/psyche.html
    http://www.biostat.wisc.edu/~annis/creations/PyLisp/

    These implementations are great, but Lython has macro capabilities,
    generates python byte code, and demonstrates the use of spark, a
    fantastic parsing package.

    faulkner, Jan 26, 2007