    Could give me intresting suggestions?

    Thank You very much for any help

    Edwin

    Edwin, Jan 31, 2007

  2. Well, I can give you an example of one that's been done (mine)

    =8^)

    http://www.peredur.uklinux.net/msc/

    I'm surprised it's an MA, too. I would have expected an MSc (or MS in
    American parlance): but you know what you're doing.

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Jan 31, 2007

  3. On Jan 31, 10:38 am, "Edwin" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to write master degree thesis about ASP. NET, but I'm programming in
    > .NET for just 4 months. I was thinking about something about "Integration
    > informations system in ASP. NET (Web Services, SOA)", but my profesor
    > rejected it. Now I'm thinking about AJAX.
    >
    > Could give me intresting suggestions?

    Sharepoint, Workflow Integration?

    Alexey Smirnov, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Perhaps I should have added that the thesis includes some ideas for further
    work (as all good theses should). For example:
    * Try to find out if performance differences between .NET on Windows vs
    Mono on Linux are due to OS or VM differences
    * Try to find out why code produced using the .NET Framework runs
    comparatively slowly on the Mono VM whereas the converse is not true
    * Try to find out whether .NET code on Mono is as robust under pressure as
    the same code running on the .NET Framework VM

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Jan 31, 2007
  5. Your masters thesis needs to demonstrate research and prove the purpose of
    your research (or not), so you need to find something around technology that
    can be researched with a view to identifying something - like how a given
    technology can lead to competitive advantage. It has to question and find
    answers to those questions - its not the same as writing a paper about a
    technology.

    Had your thesis proposal been entitled "The role of SOA in reducing total
    cost of ownership in project lifecycles" then your professor may have been
    more willing to let you focus it around asp.net as a technology used to
    prove this.

    Make sure you pick something deliverable and relevent to todays market - if
    you want to look at Ajax then perhaps "Does Ajax have a role in promoting
    usability for tommorows web based systems"..

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Jan 31, 2007
  6. Yes. That's very well put.

    A master's dissertation needs to, "Contribute to the sum of human knowledge"
    (UK Open University wording, IIRC). In other words, you have to describe,
    in the dissertation, something that is new or which extends that which is
    known. Perhaps the best test for this came from my professor when I was in
    the OP's position: if you could answer the question that the dissertation's
    hypothesis poses by simply reading up about it in some books and papers,
    then it is not a suitable topic for a masters degree.

    The OP's suggested title, "Integration informations system in ASP. NET (Web
    Services, SOA)" would simply involve reading already existing texts and
    presenting what they say. This is not sufficient.

    Something that would be interesting would, for example, be, "A proposed set
    of standard interfaces for SOA-based automatic library systems*, using
    ASP.NET Web Services as an example partial implementation".

    * Substitute some environment here of which you have experience (e.g.
    Student record systems, room booking systems ..., whatever)

    Having said that, an MSc/MA is not an M.Phil or PhD. So the candidate is
    not required to perform original research to that extent. For example, you
    might simply reinterpret already known evidence in a novel way. It's a fine
    distinction, though. In the example I give above, there are some
    pre-existing standards that might lend themselves to conversion to an SOA,
    for example (e.g. Z39.50 - if someone hasn't already done it).

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Jan 31, 2007