M$ windows python libs installed in arbitrary directories for customizedpython distributions

Discussion in 'Python' started by alf, Aug 25, 2006.

  1. alf

    alf Guest

    Hi,

    for some reason I have to deal with custom python distributions.

    It turned out it is quite simple - I just install the python from
    python.org and all the libs needed. Then I take python2n.dll from
    c:\win*\system32 and move directly to PYTHONDIR. Then I can just tar/zip
    the PYTHON dir and distribute around so users do not have to deal with
    dozen of libs and packages.

    Small difficulty is a maintenance of such "distribution". Namely when I
    want install a new lib M$ installer just can not find my python
    installations probably due to missing registry entries.

    Is there any way to force the actual python site-lib for M$ installers????

    thx in advance,

    --
    alf
    alf, Aug 25, 2006

  2. Re: M$ windows python libs installed in arbitrary directoriesforcustomized python distributions

    "alf" <4all.nl> wrote:

    > It turned out it is quite simple - I just install the python from
    > python.org and all the libs needed. Then I take python2n.dll from
    > c:\win*\system32 and move directly to PYTHONDIR. Then I can just tar/zip
    > the PYTHON dir and distribute around so users do not have to deal with
    > dozen of libs and packages.
    >
    > Small difficulty is a maintenance of such "distribution". Namely when I
    > want install a new lib M$ installer just can not find my python
    > installations probably due to missing registry entries.
    >
    > Is there any way to force the actual python site-lib for M$ installers????

    it's spelled "Windows installers", and code to do the necessary registry updates
    can be found here:

    http://effbot.org/zone/python-register.htm

    </F>
    Fredrik Lundh, Aug 25, 2006

  3. alf

    alf Guest

    Fredrik Lundh wrote:
    > "alf" <4all.nl> wrote:
    >

    >>It turned out it is quite simple - I just install the python from
    >>python.org and all the libs needed. Then I take python2n.dll from
    >>c:\win*\system32 and move directly to PYTHONDIR. Then I can just tar/zip
    >>the PYTHON dir and distribute around so users do not have to deal with
    >>dozen of libs and packages.
    >>
    >>Small difficulty is a maintenance of such "distribution". Namely when I
    >>want install a new lib M$ installer just can not find my python
    >>installations probably due to missing registry entries.
    >>
    >>Is there any way to force the actual python site-lib for M$ installers????

    > it's spelled "Windows installers", and code to do the necessary registry updates
    > can be found here:
    >
    > http://effbot.org/zone/python-register.htm
    >
    > </F>

    thx for the hint ...
    alf, Aug 28, 2006
  4. Re: M$ windows python libs installed in arbitrary directories forcustomizedpython distributions

    Fredrik Lundh schrieb:
    >> Is there any way to force the actual python site-lib for M$ installers????

    > it's spelled "Windows installers"

    I want to second this. It was me who created the installer, and I don't
    like to see my name abbreviated as M$ (if you think you should write
    out the name of the MSI creator, please say "Martin's installer" :).

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Aug 28, 2006
  5. alf

    alf Guest

    Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    >>it's spelled "Windows installers"

    > I want to second this. It was me who created the installer, and I don't
    > like to see my name abbreviated as M$ (if you think you should write
    > out the name of the MSI creator, please say "Martin's installer" :).

    ok, let me clarify, by M$ I meant Micro$oft.

    --
    alf
    alf, Aug 29, 2006
  6. alf

    Steve Holden Guest

    alf wrote:
    > Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    >
    >>>it's spelled "Windows installers"

    >>I want to second this. It was me who created the installer, and I don't
    >>like to see my name abbreviated as M$ (if you think you should write
    >>out the name of the MSI creator, please say "Martin's installer" :).

    > ok, let me clarify, by M$ I meant Micro$oft.

    I suspect that's the significance of the smiley.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Aug 29, 2006
  7. Fredrik Lundh, Aug 29, 2006
  8. alf

    DH Guest