mac IDLE problems

Discussion in 'Python' started by 7stud, Apr 13, 2007.

  1. 7stud

    7stud Guest

    Hi,

    In the IDLE, I can't get most shortcut keys that are listed next to
    the menu items to work. For instance, under the Format menu item only
    the shortcuts for "indent region" and "undent region" work. If I
    highlight some text and use Shift+3 to comment out the region I
    highlighted, the code is erased and I get the # symbol. When I use
    the option(alt key) and type a character, I get things like this:

    ƒ,¢,º,˚

    I looked under Options/Configure IDLE/Keys and tried the various built
    in key sets, and none seem to work.

    I also can't use my mouse to copy(or cut) and paste. When I highlight
    something and right click(in an attempt to bring up the context menu
    that has copy, cut, paste, etc.), the text that is highlighted is
    doubled when I right click, e.g.:

    some text

    becomes:

    some textsome text

    And, sometimes when I try to highlight a line, the line 7 lines below
    the cursor gets highlighted.

    intel mac, os 10.4.7, python 2.4.4

    7stud, Apr 13, 2007

  2. 7stud

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    7stud wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In the IDLE, I can't get most shortcut keys that are listed next to
    > the menu items to work. For instance, under the Format menu item only
    > the shortcuts for "indent region" and "undent region" work. If I
    > highlight some text and use Shift+3 to comment out the region I
    > highlighted, the code is erased and I get the # symbol. When I use
    > the option(alt key) and type a character, I get things like this:
    >
    > ƒ,¢,º,˚
    >
    > I looked under Options/Configure IDLE/Keys and tried the various built
    > in key sets, and none seem to work.
    >
    > I also can't use my mouse to copy(or cut) and paste. When I highlight
    > something and right click(in an attempt to bring up the context menu
    > that has copy, cut, paste, etc.), the text that is highlighted is
    > doubled when I right click, e.g.:
    >
    > some text
    >
    > becomes:
    >
    > some textsome text
    >
    > And, sometimes when I try to highlight a line, the line 7 lines below
    > the cursor gets highlighted.
    >
    > intel mac, os 10.4.7, python 2.4.4

    IDLE under 2.5 has been much improved on the Mac; all the standard Mac
    keyboard shortcuts are supported, and in general it's more stable. With
    2.5, IDLE replaces the old PythonIDE that used to ship with MacPython.
    Can you update to 2.5?

    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin

    Kevin Walzer, Apr 13, 2007

  3. 7stud

    7stud Guest

    On Apr 13, 10:27 am, Kevin Walzer <> wrote:
    > 7stud wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > In the IDLE, I can't get most shortcut keys that are listed next to
    > > the menu items to work.  For instance, under the Format menu item only
    > > the shortcuts for "indent region" and "undent region" work.   If I
    > > highlight some text and use Shift+3 to comment out the region I
    > > highlighted, the code is erased and I get the # symbol.   When I use
    > > the option(alt key) and type a character, I get things like this:

    > > ƒ,¢,º,˚

    > > I looked under Options/Configure IDLE/Keys and tried the various built
    > > in key sets, and none seem to work.

    > > I also can't use my mouse to copy(or cut) and paste.  When I highlight
    > > something and right click(in an attempt to bring up the context menu
    > > that has copy, cut, paste, etc.), the text that is highlighted is
    > > doubled when I right click, e.g.:

    > >      some text

    > > becomes:

    > >      some textsome text

    > > And, sometimes when I try to highlight a line, the line 7 lines below
    > > the cursor gets highlighted.

    > > intel mac, os 10.4.7, python 2.4.4

    > IDLE under 2.5 has been much improved on the Mac; all the standard Mac
    > keyboard shortcuts are supported, and in general it's more stable. With
    > 2.5, IDLE replaces the old PythonIDE that used to ship with MacPython.
    > Can you update to 2.5?
    >
    > --
    > Kevin Walzer
    > Code by Kevinhttp://www.codebykevin.com

    Thanks for the info. I just updated to 2.4.4 because the download
    said there were more packages for the mac than with 2.5. I think I'll
    probably just stick to vim for an editor.

    7stud, Apr 13, 2007
  4. 7stud

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    7stud wrote:
    > On Apr 13, 10:27Â am, Kevin Walzer <> wrote:
    >> 7stud wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> In the IDLE, I can't get most shortcut keys that are listed next to
    >>> the menu items to work. Â For instance, under the Format menu item only
    >>> the shortcuts for "indent region" and "undent region" work. Â If I
    >>> highlight some text and use Shift+3 to comment out the region I
    >>> highlighted, the code is erased and I get the # symbol. Â When I use
    >>> the option(alt key) and type a character, I get things like this:
    >>> ƒ,¢,º,˚
    >>> I looked under Options/Configure IDLE/Keys and tried the various built
    >>> in key sets, and none seem to work.
    >>> I also can't use my mouse to copy(or cut) and paste. Â When I highlight
    >>> something and right click(in an attempt to bring up the context menu
    >>> that has copy, cut, paste, etc.), the text that is highlighted is
    >>> doubled when I right click, e.g.:
    >>> Â Â Â some text
    >>> becomes:
    >>> Â Â Â some textsome text
    >>> And, sometimes when I try to highlight a line, the line 7 lines below
    >>> the cursor gets highlighted.
    >>> intel mac, os 10.4.7, python 2.4.4

    >> IDLE under 2.5 has been much improved on the Mac; all the standard Mac
    >> keyboard shortcuts are supported, and in general it's more stable. With
    >> 2.5, IDLE replaces the old PythonIDE that used to ship with MacPython.
    >> Can you update to 2.5?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kevin Walzer
    >> Code by Kevinhttp://www.codebykevin.com

    > Thanks for the info. I just updated to 2.4.4 because the download
    > said there were more packages for the mac than with 2.5. I think I'll
    > probably just stick to vim for an editor.

    You realize that packages are trivial to build for 2.5, assuming you
    have the developer tools installed? Usually it's sudo easy_install foo
    (if you have setuptools installed) or sudo python setup.py.

    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin

    Kevin Walzer, Apr 13, 2007