mac ie popup of a popup security error

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Alex Shinn, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Alex Shinn

    Alex Shinn Guest

    I have a site which uses popup windows as a convenience in filling out
    forms - you choose some data on the popup, click OK, and it sets data on
    the parent windows form. This works fine in all major browsers and
    platforms.

    However, on Mac IE (OS 9 or 10, all versions), there is one situation
    where this fails. If the parent window was itself launched as a popup,
    and the parent window's parent was from a different domain than the
    popup, then a security error is triggered because IE thinks you're
    trying to access data from a page in a separate domain. As a diagram:

    A B C
    +------------+ +---------+ +-------+
    | Other Site |---| My Site |---| Popup |
    +------------+ +---------+ +-------+
    ^ |
    +------------+
    Access Form Data

    In the above situation we get an error in JavaScript on page C when
    accessing window.opener.anyformdata, because although Mac IE should be
    checking the domains between window B & C, somehow it is checking
    against the unrelated domain in window A.

    The obvious solution is not to launch my site as a popup, but alas that
    may not be an option. Are there any ideas for workarounds? I've tried
    alternate ways of accessing the parent window B other than
    window.opener, but the only thing I could think of was something like

    var b = window.open(x, 'B', opts)

    to get a direct reference to window B (which may or may not solve the
    problem), but whatever x is it will reset at least the form data in the
    window.

    --
    Alex

    Alex Shinn, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Alex Shinn

    Alex Shinn Guest

    At Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:35:56 GMT, Robert wrote:

    > MS has dropped support for IE on the Mac. So, don't wait for a fix.

    I know, and I wasn't :)

    Personally I use Safari when I use Macs, but I'm stuck with users who
    still use IE :(

    --
    Alex

    Alex Shinn, Feb 19, 2004