Mac/*nix test of JWS splash

Andrew Thompson

I started a thread over at the Sun forums to test JWS splashes.
<http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5423341>

At the moment I have a variety of test results suggesting they
work for many Windows JREs, but they don't seem to work on
this Ubuntu Linux box, and I am hoping to get more test results
from other Linux/Unix variants, and Macs.

The test files & instructions (pretty simple) can be found here..
<http://pscode.org/test/splash/>

If users with those variants can point a browser at the relevant
files and report back, I'd be most grateful.

John B. Matthews

Andrew Thompson said:
I started a thread over at the Sun forums to test JWS splashes.
<http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5423341>

At the moment I have a variety of test results suggesting they
work for many Windows JREs, but they don't seem to work on
this Ubuntu Linux box, and I am hoping to get more test results
from other Linux/Unix variants, and Macs.

The test files & instructions (pretty simple) can be found here..
<http://pscode.org/test/splash/>

If users with those variants can point a browser at the relevant
files and report back, I'd be most grateful.

Andrew: It works correctly on Mac OS X 10.5.8 with Java version 1.6.0_17.

John B. Matthews

"John B. Matthews said:
Andrew: It works correctly on Mac OS X 10.5.8 with Java version 1.6.0_17.

I spoke too soon; I replaced the splash name with stromlo1.jpg in the
jnlp, but I get a gray splash followed by stromlo2.jpg. I never see
stromlo1.jpg.

Andrew Thompson

I spoke too soon; ...

Thanks for your reports. I have noticed, in the past,
that although JWS is great at updating resources, it
is not so clever about updating the JNLP files themselves.

I'm going to regard your (1st) reply as a 'success', and
not worry too much that it would not update to the other
image.

Thanks for your time and testing.

Tom Anderson

I started a thread over at the Sun forums to test JWS splashes.
<http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5423341>

At the moment I have a variety of test results suggesting they
work for many Windows JREs, but they don't seem to work on
this Ubuntu Linux box, and I am hoping to get more test results
from other Linux/Unix variants, and Macs.

The test files & instructions (pretty simple) can be found here..
<http://pscode.org/test/splash/>

If users with those variants can point a browser at the relevant
files and report back, I'd be most grateful.

When i click the link, both times VirtualBox opens.

I would imagine this is a misconfiguration at my end.

tom

Andrew Thompson

..When i click the link, both times VirtualBox opens.

Huh. I had to Google VirtualBox to understand what
you were referring to.

Thanks for throwing a browser at the problem.

Just as an update, summarising conclusions from the
Sun thread.
- On windows the splash worked reliably.
- The splash showed in the single Solaris test.
- We had one success on the Mac. (John's first reply)
as well as one outright failure from another user.
- No Ubuntu Linux box showed the splash.

I later found a bug report that suggested that, at
one time, if an app. had both D-n-D and splash, it
would freeze Ubuntu. I suspect Sun just completely
dropped splash support in Ubuntu to shut people up,
though there was no specific comment on the bug
report to that effect.

I don't think 'the world will fall apart' if Ubuntu
users see no splash. Ubuntu users tend to be people
less impressed by such (trivial) decorations, in any
case.

John B. Matthews

[...]
- We had one success on the Mac. (John's first reply)

Um, I completely misinterpreted the result of the first experiment. I
saw the gloaming (stromlo2.jpg) that I recognized from your website and
thought it worked; I was just seeing the application display the image.
I overlooked the absence of the splash. Aiming the .jnlp at another
picture (stromlo1.jpg) allowed me to see the empty, gray splash frame.

Call me Igor. :)

[...]