    Is there a package for the above both Apple's and Sun's websites are useless
    and we've been searching for ages now. Can anyone give me a link? Or does it
    not even exist?

    -, Jul 17, 2003

  2. -

    Chris Mays Guest

    - wrote:

    > Is there a package for the above both Apple's and Sun's websites are useless
    > and we've been searching for ages now. Can anyone give me a link? Or does it
    > not even exist?

    I may be mistaken, but I thought that the only version of Java available for OS
    9 was 1.1.8 and Swing was introduced with java 1.2. I know that the OS X version
    of Java supports swing.

    Chris Mays, Jul 17, 2003

  3. On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:08:43 -0500, Chris Mays <> wrote:
    > I may be mistaken, but I thought that the only version of Java available for OS
    > 9 was 1.1.8 and Swing was introduced with java 1.2. I know that the OS X version
    > of Java supports swing.

    JFC was first introduced as an extension pack for Java 1.1.x. When
    Java 1.2 was release, JFC was part of the core classes. You can
    still get the old JFC release ofor 1.1.7 and later JVM's (but it
    is no longer supported):

    http://java.sun.com/products/archive/jfc/1.1.1/index.html

    I do not know about Apple compatibility. The JFC release is fairly
    sensitive to the underlying AWT layer of the JVM, so use with care.

    --Joe

    Joseph Millar, Jul 17, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    Joseph Millar <> wrote:

    :> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:08:43 -0500, Chris Mays <> wrote:
    :> > I may be mistaken, but I thought that the only version of Java available
    :> > for OS
    :> > 9 was 1.1.8 and Swing was introduced with java 1.2. I know that the OS X
    :> > version
    :> > of Java supports swing.
    :>
    :> JFC was first introduced as an extension pack for Java 1.1.x. When
    :> Java 1.2 was release, JFC was part of the core classes. You can
    :> still get the old JFC release ofor 1.1.7 and later JVM's (but it
    :> is no longer supported):
    :>
    :> http://java.sun.com/products/archive/jfc/1.1.1/index.html
    :>
    :> I do not know about Apple compatibility. The JFC release is fairly
    :> sensitive to the underlying AWT layer of the JVM, so use with care.
    :>
    :> --Joe

    You can in fact get the swingall.jar file for Swing 1.1.1 and use it
    with Apple's MRJ for rudimentary Swing functionality. I did it about
    two and a half years ago when first learning Java. But now that I've
    been doing Java full-time for nearly 3 years and switched to OS X, I no
    longer work in that area at all.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson