Mac os x 10.4.11: Error installing Python 2.5.1

David

All,

Running OS X 10.4.11 PPC. No Intel.

I downloaded:

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.1/python-2.5.1-macosx.dmg

I started the install, accepted the license, selected easy install,
then upgrade, entered my password for the mac, but the installation
process finished with:

There were errors installing the software. Please try installing
again.

Is there a log file somewhere I can examine? Anyone else experience
this? Workaround?

Thanks.

David.

James Stroud

David said:
Running OS X 10.4.11 PPC. No Intel.

I downloaded:

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.1/python-2.5.1-macosx.dmg

I started the install, accepted the license, selected easy install,
then upgrade, entered my password for the mac, but the installation
process finished with:

There were errors installing the software. Please try installing
again.

Is there a log file somewhere I can examine? Anyone else experience
this? Workaround?

Usually this happens when you are not an administrator. If you aren't
log out and log in again as one. If that doesn't do it, what does your
/Applications/Utilities/Console say?

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570

http://www.jamesstroud.com

David

Usually this happens when you are not an administrator. If you aren't
log out and log in again as one. If that doesn't do it, what does your
/Applications/Utilities/Console say?

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570
Los Angeles, CA 90095

http://www.jamesstroud.com

Rebooted. I am admin. Tried installing again. Same result. console.log
has this:

Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
2007-11-17 19:59:32 -0800
2007-11-17 19:59:40.718 SystemUIServer[334] lang is:en
Nov 17 19:59:45 darnold diskarbitrationd[44]: SystemUIServer [334]:
27139 not responding.

James Stroud

Rebooted. I am admin. Tried installing again. Same result. console.log
has this:

Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
2007-11-17 19:59:32 -0800
2007-11-17 19:59:40.718 SystemUIServer[334] lang is:en
Nov 17 19:59:45 darnold diskarbitrationd[44]: SystemUIServer [334]:
27139 not responding.

My best guess is that you have a problem with your account. Try creating
a new administrative user and log in as that user, then try the install.
Also, some external storage devices can cause this problem. If you
have this problem after you create the new user and log in as that user,
then log out and remove all external storage devices and log in again as
the new user. It will not be sufficient simply to authenticate as said
user from your preexisting account.

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570

http://www.jamesstroud.com

David

David said:
[...]

Logged out. Made a new administrator user. Logged in as that user. No
external devices attached to my machine.

Same error.

The installation finishes with "There were errors installing the
software. Please try installing
again."

I should say that Python appears to be working:

darnold $ python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54869, Apr 18 2007, 22:08:04)
But the installation finishes with that error message.

David.

James Stroud

David said:
David said:
David wrote:
[...]

Well, I'm stumped. There is a whole series of things to try to
troubleshoot this. The question is whether you really want to spend the
time to track down the problem, especially if you think the software is
working anyway. Your next test would be to power down, boot into single
user mode, and rename /Library/Preferences and "rm -rf /Library/Caches".
Then try again. If that doesn't work, then think about an archive
install. But I think this would all be overkill. I've been admining OS X
boxes since they were invented and my advice is to just keep trucking
until you really crash (make sure you have a good data backup going).
You'll probably stumble onto the real cause while you are debugging
something else.

James

--
James Stroud