Mac OS X automation with Ruby

Tony.Makhlouf

I'm considering a switch (back) from the PC to a Mac/Intel laptop. I
want to know about options to automate applications. I used AppleScript
in the past (Mac OS 9, late 1990s) and remember it as particularly
painful.
Are there bindings for Mac automation that I can use from Ruby, by far
my most favorite language. Windows automation is a breeze with the
AutoIt/Ruby combo, and I'd hate to give that up in transitioning to the
Mac.

Cross-posted to comp.lang.ruby and comp.sys.mac.advocacy

Reply to newsgroups only. I do not check my gmail account.

Tim Murray

I'm considering a switch (back) from the PC to a Mac/Intel laptop. I
want to know about options to automate applications. I used AppleScript
in the past (Mac OS 9, late 1990s) and remember it as particularly
painful.
Are there bindings for Mac automation that I can use from Ruby, by far
my most favorite language. Windows automation is a breeze with the
AutoIt/Ruby combo, and I'd hate to give that up in transitioning to the
Mac.

Cross-posted to comp.lang.ruby and comp.sys.mac.advocacy

Reply to newsgroups only. I do not check my gmail account.

Have you seen http://inquirylabs.com/blog/?p=21?

A google for macintosh ruby automate pulls up 124,000 English pages.

Dale

I'm considering a switch (back) from the PC to a Mac/Intel laptop. I
want to know about options to automate applications. I used AppleScript
in the past (Mac OS 9, late 1990s) and remember it as particularly
painful.
Are there bindings for Mac automation that I can use from Ruby, by far
my most favorite language. Windows automation is a breeze with the
AutoIt/Ruby combo, and I'd hate to give that up in transitioning to the
Mac.

I don't think you'll find Ruby as well supported on the Mac for
automation as it is on Windows.

Other than AppleScript 'bindings'/OSA there's support for Javascript,
Python and Ruby. I've put these languages in the order they're best
supported (in my limited knowledge, without having used them). A Google
search will turn up info about each.