Mac OS X, Fink, Python, and web browser

Joe Heafner

Hi.
I'm running Mac OS X (10.2.6), Fink 0.5.3, Python2.2 and all requisite
libraries, VPython (http://www.vpython.org). VPython comes with and
installs IDLE_fork. Pressing F1 inside IDLE_fork is supposed to bring up
help documents in the system's default web browser.

Could someone please tell me where and how to get IDLE_fork to use Safari
(1.0)?

JH

Don Hiatt

Joe Heafner said:
Hi.
I'm running Mac OS X (10.2.6), Fink 0.5.3, Python2.2 and all requisite
Could someone please tell me where and how to get IDLE_fork to use Safari
(1.0)?

You can change your default web browser to Safari using the preferences
pane (under internet, I believe). If IDLE_fork uses the default browser
property then Safari should launch.

Cheers,

don

Joe Heafner

Don Hiatt said:
You can change your default web browser to Safari using the preferences
pane (under internet, I believe). If IDLE_fork uses the default browser
property then Safari should launch.
Hi.
I just double checked and Safari is indeed my system default under System
Preferences -> Internet -> Web. There's no mention of Safari in
webbrowser.py though.

JH

Michael Hudson

Joe Heafner said:
Hi.
I just double checked and Safari is indeed my system default under System
Preferences -> Internet -> Web. There's no mention of Safari in
webbrowser.py though.

IIRC, webbrowser.py uses internet config on the mac, so you certainly
should get the default browser. I've had trouble getting with
webrowser.py on Mac OS X before now, though, but I didn't dig.

Cheers,
M.

Joe Heafner

Michael Hudson said:
IIRC, webbrowser.py uses internet config on the mac, so you certainly
should get the default browser. I've had trouble getting with
webrowser.py on Mac OS X before now, though, but I didn't dig.
I have the file webbrowser.py in two places, one with the python that
ships with OS X and one with Fink's Python22 and they're virtually
identical. I'm lost as to what to do.

JH