Mac OS9 IE 5 Test Request

Philip Ronan

Christopher said:
Hello group,
My code and css vaildates.

Oh yeah?
97 errors:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.webvideodirectory.com/
&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatically%29>
99 errors:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.lifelinemobile.com/&ch
arset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatically%29>
65 errors:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.multimediaforbusiness.co
m%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatically%29>

Can't be bothered to check your CSS for you, but the fonts look tiny anyway.
You're wasting my time.

Roy Schestowitz

Philip said:
Oh yeah?

97 errors:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.webvideodirectory.com/
99 errors:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.lifelinemobile.com/&ch
65 errors:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.multimediaforbusiness.co
m%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatically%29>

Can't be bothered to check your CSS for you, but the fonts look tiny
anyway. You're wasting my time.

That's rude, Phil. It looks good in Konqueror and Firefox. I will try this
on an old Mac if you are still interested...

The page does not validate as XHTML because you neglect to close tags. Maybe
you should try HTML.

....oh, and the font size is fine!

Philip Ronan

Roy said:
Philip said:
Christopher said:
Hello group,
My code and css vaildates.

[[ on the contrary, none of these pages validate ]]

Can't be bothered to check your CSS for you, but the fonts look tiny
anyway. You're wasting my time.

That's rude, Phil. It looks good in Konqueror and Firefox. I will try this
on an old Mac if you are still interested...

If Christopher wants HTML that renders properly, then he should make it
valid. And he should stop claiming that it *is* valid when it *isn't*. It
makes no difference what the pages look like in Konqueror and Firefox.
...oh, and the font size is fine!

Fine for who? Defining a font size in pixels is a basic error.

Christopher: Sorry if I sounded rude. You might find these links useful:

<http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/design.html>, especially
<http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/design.html#page-inconsistent>

also, <http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/fontsize.html>, and
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html>

Christopher Richards

m%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatically%29>

That's rude, Phil. It looks good in Konqueror and Firefox. I will try this
on an old Mac if you are still interested...

The page does not validate as XHTML because you neglect to close tags.
Maybe
you should try HTML.

...oh, and the font size is fine!

Yes, thank you. Roy.

kchayka

Roy said:
...oh, and the font size is fine!

An 11px font is the size of fly droppings on my screen.
Just because you can read it OK doesn't mean every else can.

The only sensible way to set font-size is in % units. Google the
archives if you want more info on this. The topic has been done to death.

Christopher Richards

I am using http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ to validate my css. I am
rechecking them.

moi.css = No error or warning found
edydownload.css = Invalid number : color00030 is not a valid color 3 or 6
hexadecimals numbers : #00030 I've fixed this now.#000030;
wvd.css = No error or warning found

Christopher Richards

Christopher Richards said:
I am using http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ to validate my css. I am
rechecking them.

moi.css = No error or warning found
edydownload.css = Invalid number : color00030 is not a valid color 3 or 6
hexadecimals numbers : #00030 I've fixed this now.#000030;
wvd.css = No error or warning found

That middle one was not requested. I checked out mm4b2.css and that
validated fine. So it seems that those sites do validate correctly using the
tool above.
It never hurts to check again. I look forward to hearing how these sites
display on a Mac and IE 5 and I thank you for helping me.
Christopher.

Christopher Richards

kchayka said:
An 11px font is the size of fly droppings on my screen.
Just because you can read it OK doesn't mean every else can.

The only sensible way to set font-size is in % units. Google the
archives if you want more info on this. The topic has been done to death.
Thank you. I'll check into it. Are you looking at this on the Mac and IE5?

Al Jones

Hello group,
My code and css vaildates. I had problems under Mac os9 and IE 5 with
three
of my sites before using clear:both. Would some kind soul take a look at
these three sites and see if I have fixed them. Thank much. Christopher.
http://www.webvideodirectory.com

http://www.lifelinemobile.com

http://www.multimediaforbusiness.com
Probably more than you're asking for but here goes:

Comments re: webvideodirectory.com:
1) The curent version of Windows Media Player is version 10. Your link
to download medai player goes there - you might want to change your
references to Windows Media Player .vs. Windows Media Player 9 series.
2) Also note that your popup is smaller than the Windows Media player - I
have to expand the window to see the controls (of course that might be
because I'm using the *current verion* of WMP.
3) Your 'streaming video' from the several pages I look at loads a blanks
screen on my system. It plays nothing.
4) On your optimized results page - who (or what) is an Ian Blei?? If
it's a person say so, if it's an approach to something then say so. But
"Ian Blei" doesn't tell *me* a damn thing.
5) I'm using Opera 8 - as I go from one screen to another (down your
dropdown) the images shift (approximztely 1/4 inch?) from right to left.
6) Be more consistent in your layouts. One one screen the URL to the
site is above the clients name, in another it's to the right, in another
it's in a kink (in smaller type) in the body ... where am I supposed to
look for a link??
7) If you really want a critique on your site, why don't you try
alt.html.critique?

Comments re: lifelinemobile.com
1) You home page text (under half.img) is about 2 characters off the
screen - with no scrollbar.
2) I *assume* that Lifeline makes only medical support vehicles - but the
logo says 'Professional Space in Motion' and then in your left hand column
you describe a medical vehicle. Let's say I'm a professional signpainter
- and want to put my business on the road - should I contact your
company? Were it me, I'd reverse the two headings which say "LifeLine
specialty vehicles for healthcare" and "Reach for the road with LifeLine:
the sure choice for mobile outreach" -- makes more sense to me that way.

I'm done, I've abused this newsgroup too much with this. Like I said if
you really want a critique, take it to alt.html.critique.

kchayka

Christopher said:
Thank you. I'll check into it. Are you looking at this on the Mac and IE5?

Where font size is concerned, O/S and browser are mostly irrelevant.
All you need is a high-resolution screen. I happen to be using 1600x1200
on a 19-inch monitor, 120dpi.

Christopher Richards

I'm done, I've abused this newsgroup too much with this. Like I said if
you really want a critique, take it to alt.html.critique.
Thanks for your helpful comments and the suggestion to use
alt.html.critique.
Chrisotpher

Christopher Richards

Philip Ronan said:
Christopher Richards wrote:
Can't be bothered to check your CSS for you, but the fonts look tiny
anyway.
You're wasting my time.
This is very odd. My code validates fine in the validator in the latest
version of Homesite. The validator you are using is not reading the code
correctly. For example, where I have <br> the valitator you are using is
only showing <br and missing the closing bracket. My previous version of
Homesite validated <br/> as OK, but this version lists it as an error "The
tab: "br" has an XML style closing syntax for an empty element even though
version: "HTML4" is not an XML tag language."
So Homsite seems to validate with <br> but the validator you are using is
missing a lot of my code. Odd? Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Christopher

Spartanicus

This is very odd. My code validates fine in the validator in the latest
version of Homesite.

Homesite doesn't have a validator, it may falsely refer to it's native
linter as a validator, or if you are using CSE with Homesite, again this
is a linter, not a validator.

Get yourself a real validator (http://www.arealvalidator.com), or use
the online validators.

Roy Schestowitz

Christopher said:
Yes, thank you. Roy.

Okay, I'll look into it on Tuesday. I know how to take screenshots on almost
any platform apart from old Macs. So I will not be able to ship you
snapshots...

Roy

Christopher Richards

Spartanicus said:
Homesite doesn't have a validator, it may falsely refer to it's native
linter as a validator, or if you are using CSE with Homesite, again this
is a linter, not a validator.
I didn't have the validator correctly configured. Now it gives me lots of
errors. I have a lot of fixing to do. Got to love this group. This has all
been a big help.
I'm not sure what a linter is but I'll find out.
Cheers.
Christopher

Spartanicus

I didn't have the validator correctly configured. Now it gives me lots of
errors. I have a lot of fixing to do.

Don't waste your time trying to configure it, you cannot fix a linter so
that it will validate code, it requires a real validator.

Spartanicus

I want a validator that will integrate with my editor

Why? At best it will allow you to validate a single page. Consider
switching to batch validating a project before deployment, much more
efficient.
so maybe I should move
to Topstyle.

Homesite is a better editor imo, v5 is quite bloated though.
http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/tour/w3htmlval.asp

Using one of the online validators requires you to be online, and it
should be possible to add that function to most editors, including
Homesite.

NSGMLS is a free command line validator that can be called from various
editors such as EditPlus, TextPad and UltraEdit, installation
instructions at
http://www.codestyle.org/html/tools/nsgmls-Validate.shtml.