[Mac OSX] TextWrangler "run" command not working properly

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fabio, Apr 14, 2011.

  1. Fabio

    Fabio Guest

    Hi to all,
    I have troubles with TextWrangler "run" command in the "shebang" (#!)
    menu.
    I am on MacOSX 10.6.7.
    I have the "built-in" Python2.5 which comes installed by "mother Apple".
    Then I installed Python2.6, and left 2.5 untouched (I was suggested to
    leave it on the system, since "something might need it").

    I ran the "Update Shell Profile.command", and now if I launch "python"
    in the terminal it happily launches the 2.6 version.
    Then I installed some libraries (scipy and matplotlib) on this newer 2.6
    version.
    They work, and everything is fine.

    Then, I started to use TexWrangler, and I wanted to use the "shebang"
    menu, and "run" command.
    I have the "#! first line" pointing to the 2.6 version.
    It works fine, as long as I don't import the libraries, in which case it
    casts an error saying:

    ImportError: No module named scipy

    Maybe for some reason it points to the old 2.5 version.
    But I might be wrong and the problem is another...

    I copy here the first lines in the terminal window if i give the "run in
    terminal" command

    Last login: Thu Apr 14 22:38:26 on ttys000
    Fabio-Mac:~ fabio$
    /var/folders/BS/BSS71XvjFKiJPH3Wqtx90k+++TM/-Tmp-/Cleanup\ At\
    Startup/untitled\ text-324506443.860.command ; exit;
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Users/fabio/Desktop/test.py", line 3, in <module>
    import scipy as sp
    ImportError: No module named scipy
    logout

    [Process completed]

    where the source (test.py) contains just:

    #!/usr/bin/python2.6

    import scipy as sp

    print "hello world"

    Any clue?

    Thanks

    Fabio
    Fabio, Apr 14, 2011

  2. Fabio

    Jon Clements Guest

    Re: TextWrangler "run" command not working properly

    http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570137-textwrangler-and-new-python-version-mac.html
    ?
    Jon Clements, Apr 14, 2011

  3. Re: TextWrangler "run" command not working properly

    I'm not a python expert, but you might trying running 'print sys.path' inside your script and run that from TextWrangler to see where it's looking for modules.

    - Ernest

    Ernest Obusek, Apr 14, 2011
  4. Fabio

    Fabio Guest

    Fabio, Apr 15, 2011
  5. Fabio

    Brian Blais Guest

    Re: TextWrangler "run" command not working properly

    Hello Fabio You have two versions of 2.6 on your system.

    On Apr 15, 2011, at 4:51 AM, Fabio wrote:
    > I have the "built-in" Python2.5 which comes installed by "mother Apple".

    My OSX comes with 2.3, 2.5, and 2.6. :) These are under:

    /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
    ^^^^^^^^^

    the ones you installed are under:

    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/

    I can reproduce this problem on my system, because /usr/bin/python2.6 points to the system version. There is an easy solution:

    #!/usr/bin/env python

    will work, or,

    #!/usr/local/bin/python

    it's better to use the former, as it will work even as you change versions, etc... You should avoid using the shebang with a *specific* python version. just use #!/usr/bin/env python

    bb

    --
    Brian Blais

    http://web.bryant.edu/~bblais
    http://bblais.blogspot.com/
    Brian Blais, Apr 15, 2011
  6. Fabio

    Fabio Guest

    Re: TextWrangler "run" command not working properly

    In article <>,
    Ernest Obusek <> wrote:

    > I'm not a python expert, but you might trying running 'print sys.path' inside
    > your script and run that from TextWrangler to see where it's looking for
    > modules.
    >
    > - Ernest

    Hi Ernst, Hi Brian,
    Thank you for your answers!
    With the "#!/usr/bin/env python" shebang line now it works!
    I also had more insights running "print sys.path".

    I still have to understand how comes, even with this "env trick"
    TextWrangler isn't able to "find the libraries" if I run a script "in
    TextWrangler". It only works fine if I use the "Run in Terminal" method.
    Do you have more details about how TextWrangler manages these commands?
    Which are its defalut locations?

    Cheers,

    Fabio

    Fabio, Apr 17, 2011