Mac Safari

Mark Rae

Hi,

Having serious problems with the Safari Mac browser, specifically with
certain of the new webcontrols e.g. <asp:Menu> which doesn't render at all -
it shows "Expand" sections between each of the static menu items etc.
Apparently, this only happens with the <asp:Menu has dynamic controls...

Found this site:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forumarchives/netframeworkaspnetwebcontrols/jul2005/post23263010.asp
which suggests adding a browserCaps section to web.config.

I have tried that, and it seems to help a bit, but not totally...

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and is the browserCaps solution
the recommended one, or is there anything better...? All other Mac browsers
I've tried (FireFox, Netscape, Opera etc) seem to render <asp:Menu> controls
perfectly.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark

Lau Lei Cheong

Welcome to the world browser compatability hell...

Adding BrowserCap won't solve the problem if that control don't change
behaviour for the specific browser. (Disclaimer: Since I don't own a Mac
with Safari, I haven't test if there's any change on the HTML code generated
for the asp:Menu for Safari browser.)

For some reason, I found this timeconsuming so retreated to use the ordinary
HTML controls... Safari usually won't complain if the elements you write are
standard, so time is not wasted searching for workarounds. :p

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that ASP.NET 2.0 implements
this stuff differently, and the browserCaps file is no longer the way to do it.

Although BrowserCaps is deprecated,
it can *still* be used to identify browsers in ASP.NET 2.0.

For backward compatibility, the configuration settings in this section are still effective
if they are set at the application level, but are merged with the information contained
in browser definition files (.browser) located in the machine-level
%SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\versionNumber\CONFIG\Browsers
folder and any existing application-level App_Browser folders.

For more information about the new schema, see :

Alan Silver

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:

Although BrowserCaps is deprecated,
it can *still* be used to identify browsers in ASP.NET 2.0.
<snip>

Thanks for the clarification