Mac User Please Test My Site

Christopher Richards

I don't have a Mac so would someone who has a Mac (and OS9 and IE 5.2)
please see if this site displays OK?

http://www.easydesktopyoga.com

I had previously used floats and it was very buggy. Now I have used
positioning and I hope that should have fixed it. Thanks in advance.

Christopher

Jim Royal

Christopher said:
I don't have a Mac so would someone who has a Mac (and OS9 and IE 5.2)
please see if this site displays OK?

http://www.easydesktopyoga.com

It displays pretty much identically in Safari, IE 5.2, and Mozilla.

However, in all cases, there is a large amount of white space after
that end of the text of the page. The text scrolls almost all the way
off the top.

rf

Christopher said:
I had previously used floats and it was very buggy. Now I have used
positioning and I hope that should have fixed it. Thanks in advance.

Not a mac but FWIW this is what happens when you use absolute positioning:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/easy.jpg

Float IMHO is a superior way to go. It gives the browser more control over
the layout. It is, after all, the user who ultimately sets the font size and
the browser that is doing the final layout, not the author :)

Christopher Richards

Jim Royal said:
It displays pretty much identically in Safari, IE 5.2, and Mozilla.

However, in all cases, there is a large amount of white space after
that end of the text of the page. The text scrolls almost all the way
off the top.

Thanks much for pointing out the huge container size. I'll fix it. I'm glad
it works.

Christopher Richards

rf said:
Not a mac but FWIW this is what happens when you use absolute positioning:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/easy.jpg

Float IMHO is a superior way to go. It gives the browser more control over
the layout. It is, after all, the user who ultimately sets the font size
and
the browser that is doing the final layout, not the author :)
Yikes! What a mess. Thanks. If I put floats in, then it displays even worse
in IE 5.2 on the Mac.

rf

Christopher Richards

Forgot to mention that this happens when I make my font larger. You should
always test with the extremes of font size, as well as other extremes, like
canvas size (very large and very small).
Yikes! What a mess. Thanks. If I put floats in, then it displays even worse
in IE 5.2 on the Mac.

IE5.x in any incarnation has problems with floats and stuff, due to its
broken box model.

Sometimes you have to stick in the occasional div to seperate things and to
work around the box model bugs.

Whack up a test page using float and perhaps somebody (not I, I don't use
macs) may be able to point to the relevant hack to fix your problems.