mac using a microphone does not work in java

Discussion in 'Java' started by kal, Aug 30, 2006.

  1. kal

    kal Guest

    We are trying to develop an application which records audio through an
    applet using a microphone (it is signed, and works fine on a PC). We
    would like to support mac.

    But mac does not supply power to the microphone jack (if one exists),
    so we decided on USB.

    But when we plug in a UCB mic, java does not recognize it in the list
    of mixers/lines in.

    The application works fine if we have a battery powered condenser
    microphone.

    So I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with a
    mac? or if I am missing something?

    Thanks

    Kal

    kal, Aug 30, 2006

  2. kal wrote:
    > We are trying to develop an application which records audio through an
    > applet using a microphone (it is signed, and works fine on a PC). We
    > would like to support mac.
    >
    > But mac does not supply power to the microphone jack (if one exists),
    > so we decided on USB.
    >
    > But when we plug in a UCB mic, java does not recognize it in the list
    > of mixers/lines in.
    >
    > The application works fine if we have a battery powered condenser
    > microphone.
    >
    > So I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with a
    > mac? or if I am missing something?

    I doubt this will solve your problem, but you might
    get some tips from this thread..
    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/browse_frm/thread/e85989a213f3b6b1/c02258a163a2a6df?#c02258a163a2a6df>
    (look particularly to Chris Uppal's test results)

    It also refers to a the 'audiotraces.jar' available at
    <http://www.physci.org/test/oscilloscope/>
    though iof you're cautious, you might also simply
    compile/run AudioTrace.java (that's what the jar contains).

    Do you see your USB Mic. in amongst the traces there?

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 31, 2006