mac using a microphone does not work in java

kal

We are trying to develop an application which records audio through an
applet using a microphone (it is signed, and works fine on a PC). We
would like to support mac.

But mac does not supply power to the microphone jack (if one exists),
so we decided on USB.

But when we plug in a UCB mic, java does not recognize it in the list
of mixers/lines in.

The application works fine if we have a battery powered condenser
microphone.

So I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with a
mac? or if I am missing something?

Thanks

Kal

Andrew Thompson

kal said:
We are trying to develop an application which records audio through an
applet using a microphone (it is signed, and works fine on a PC). We
would like to support mac.

But mac does not supply power to the microphone jack (if one exists),
so we decided on USB.

But when we plug in a UCB mic, java does not recognize it in the list
of mixers/lines in.

The application works fine if we have a battery powered condenser
microphone.

So I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with a
mac? or if I am missing something?

I doubt this will solve your problem, but you might
get some tips from this thread..
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp...a213f3b6b1/c02258a163a2a6df?#c02258a163a2a6df>
(look particularly to Chris Uppal's test results)

It also refers to a the 'audiotraces.jar' available at
<http://www.physci.org/test/oscilloscope/>
though iof you're cautious, you might also simply
compile/run AudioTrace.java (that's what the jar contains).

Do you see your USB Mic. in amongst the traces there?

Andrew T.