machine.config process identity problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Allen Davis, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. Allen Davis

    Allen Davis Guest

    I'm having some trouble getting ASP.NET to run under the process identity of a domain user.

    I created a user in the same domain in which the client/webserver (same laptop) and the SQL server both live. I've followed the HOWTOs to grant the necessary permissions to the account.

    User Rights Assigned in Local Security Policy of client/webserver laptop:
    Access this computer from the network
    Log on as a batch job
    Log on as a service
    Deny logon locally
    Deny logon through Terminal Services

    NTFS Permissions granted on client/webserver laptop:
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files, Full Control
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp, Read/Write/Delete
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\App, List Folder Contents/Read
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705, Read
    C:\WINDOWS\assembly, Read
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot, List Folder Contents/Read
    C:\WINDOWS\System32, Read
    C:\, List Folder Contents/Read
    C:\Inetpub, List Folder Contents/Read

    I've modified the machine.config as follows

    <processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite" shutdownTimeout="0:00:05" requestLimit="Infinite" requestQueueLimit="5000" restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60" webGarden="false" cpuMask="0xffffffff" userName="DOMAIN\Username" password="StrongPassword" logLevel="Errors" clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05" comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate" responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="20" maxIoThreads="20"/>

    After restarting the client/webserver laptop, the following error appears in the application log when I try to connect to the app from a browser on a remote machine.

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: .NET Runtime
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date: 7/29/2004
    Time: 13:48:02
    User: N/A
    Computer: CBC-IS-L-002
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .NET Runtime version 1.1.4322.573- Config parser error: Error parsing C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config
    Parser returned error 0xC00CE512.

    When I try and open the project again in VS.NET 2003, I get the following series of errors.

    Error parsing C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config
    Parser returned error 0xC00CE512

    The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or open the Web project located at the following URL: 'http://localhost/App'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'.

    Error While trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.

    Make sure the server is operating correctly. Verify there are no syntax errors in web.config by doing a Debug.Start Without Debugging. You may also want to refer to the ASP.NET and ATL Server debugging topic in the online documentation.

    And when I try and run with Start Without Debugging, I get this error page.

    Server Error in '/App' Application.

    Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

    Parser Error Message: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 354, position 279.

    Source Error:

    Line 352: worker process for the desired application
    Line 353: -->
    Line 354: <processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite" shutdownTimeout="0:00:05" requestLimit="Infinite" requestQueueLimit="5000" restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60" webGarden="false" cpuMask="0xffffffff" userName="DOMAIN\Username" password="StrongPassword" logLevel="Errors" clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05" comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate" responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="20" maxIoThreads="20"/>
    Line 355: <webControls clientScriptsLocation="/aspnet_client/{0}/{1}/"/>
    Line 356: <clientTarget>

    Source File: c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Config\machine.config Line: 354

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573
    Allen Davis, Jul 29, 2004