machine.config process identity problem

Allen Davis

I'm having some trouble getting ASP.NET to run under the process identity of a domain user.

I created a user in the same domain in which the client/webserver (same laptop) and the SQL server both live. I've followed the HOWTOs to grant the necessary permissions to the account.

User Rights Assigned in Local Security Policy of client/webserver laptop:
Access this computer from the network
Log on as a batch job
Log on as a service
Deny logon locally
Deny logon through Terminal Services

NTFS Permissions granted on client/webserver laptop:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files, Full Control
C:\WINDOWS\Temp, Read/Write/Delete
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\App, List Folder Contents/Read
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705, Read
C:\WINDOWS\assembly, Read
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot, List Folder Contents/Read
C:\WINDOWS\System32, Read
C:\, List Folder Contents/Read
C:\Inetpub, List Folder Contents/Read

I've modified the machine.config as follows

<processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite" shutdownTimeout="0:00:05" requestLimit="Infinite" requestQueueLimit="5000" restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60" webGarden="false" cpuMask="0xffffffff" userName="DOMAIN\Username" password="StrongPassword" logLevel="Errors" clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05" comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate" responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="20" maxIoThreads="20"/>

After restarting the client/webserver laptop, the following error appears in the application log when I try to connect to the app from a browser on a remote machine.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 7/29/2004
Time: 13:48:02
User: N/A
Computer: CBC-IS-L-002
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .NET Runtime version 1.1.4322.573- Config parser error: Error parsing C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config
Parser returned error 0xC00CE512.

When I try and open the project again in VS.NET 2003, I get the following series of errors.

Error parsing C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config
Parser returned error 0xC00CE512

The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or open the Web project located at the following URL: 'http://localhost/App'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'.

Error While trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.

Make sure the server is operating correctly. Verify there are no syntax errors in web.config by doing a Debug.Start Without Debugging. You may also want to refer to the ASP.NET and ATL Server debugging topic in the online documentation.

And when I try and run with Start Without Debugging, I get this error page.

Server Error in '/App' Application.

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 354, position 279.

Source Error:

Line 352: worker process for the desired application
Line 353: -->
Line 354: <processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite" shutdownTimeout="0:00:05" requestLimit="Infinite" requestQueueLimit="5000" restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60" webGarden="false" cpuMask="0xffffffff" userName="DOMAIN\Username" password="StrongPassword" logLevel="Errors" clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05" comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate" responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="20" maxIoThreads="20"/>
Line 355: <webControls clientScriptsLocation="/aspnet_client/{0}/{1}/"/>
Line 356: <clientTarget>

Source File: c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Config\machine.config Line: 354