machine.config vs web.config

Carlos

Hi all,

I need some settings that I have created in my machine.config
of my test enironment to be available in the deployment environment.
I do not have control over that environment, and was thinking to probably
make a web.config for that application. Can I clone a machine.config
to make it my web.config, and override the machine.config of the
production evironment for that application domain only?

Thanks,

Carlos

Michel de Becdelièvre

You can do something like this :

<browserCaps>
<file src="Web.browserCaps.xml" />
</browserCaps>
</system.web>

(here Web.browserCaps.xml is a complete override of the standard browser
caps to allow for Firefox compatibility, it is certainly feasible to
override other sections this way, if anyone knows a way of overriding the
javascript files that use IE6 naming conventions for no good reason (the
validation files), I'd be interested).

Juan T. Llibre

Yes.

Anything you set in web.config, with the exception
of settings expressly forbidden by your hosting company,
will override any setting of the same type set in machine.config.