Macos sucking up the universe!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Leslie Viljoen, Oct 21, 2008.

    Hello!

    I have a small ppc MacMini, and I decided to try and get a nice Ruby
    environment on it. It shipped
    with 1.8.2 and no Gems. So I downloaded RubyGems and ran setup.rb. It told
    me:
    uninitialized constant Gem::Etc, which I replaced with "your Ruby is too
    old" in my mind
    (possibly incorrectly).

    So I downloaded Fink to get Ruby updated. Fink said that I needed OS10.5. So
    I downloaded
    older Fink that needed OS10.4, which I had. Then I ran Fink's update and it
    said I needed
    XCode. So I installed that from the DVD which came with the computer.

    Then Fink said:

    You are attempting to use the new 10.4 tree with an old version (build 5026)
    of the gcc 4.0 compiler, which is not supported. Please update your XCode
    XCode 2.2.1 or later, and try again.

    So then I had to go onto an Apple website and sign up. And soon discovered
    that
    XCode 2.2.1 is at least 800MB, and XCode 3 is about 1GB. Not sure which to
    get, I started
    downloading XCode 2.3.

    But seeing as I have a 3GB monthly cap on my Internet, and used that all up
    downloading
    Xubuntu last week, is there a better way?? Do I really need to download
    almost 1GB
    just to get RubyGems??

    Les
    Leslie Viljoen, Oct 21, 2008

  2. Leslie Viljoen wrote:
    > Do I really need to download almost 1GB just to get RubyGems??

    Macports is the go, fink unnecessary. Can't say how big the
    initial download is, but if you're a developer, you should
    install XCode anyhow.

    Clifford Heath.
    Clifford Heath, Oct 21, 2008