MacPython wiki "moved" to Python wiki - now it's your turn...

skip

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth the past couple of days, I managed
to move (most of?) the content from the MacPython wiki to the main Python
wiki (*). All pages were created as subpages of

http://wiki.python.or/moin/MacPython

The motivation for this rather hasty move was that the MacPython wiki was
running an ancient version of MoinMoin and got spammed heavily. Because of
its age and vulnerability it was simply too hard to keep up with all the
wiki spammers. So I moved everything.

I did very little to try and fix up link references. Moin's subpage
references have always befuddled me, and many of the page references were
weirded out to begin with, so there you have it: royal link spaghetti.

This is where you come in. You can do any number of things to try to
identify and fix problems:

* Visit http://wiki.python.org/moin/OrphanedPages and see if there are
any MacPython/... pages which are orphaned (hint: there are quite a
few). Then see if you can find an incorrect link which should refer
to the orphaned page.

* Visit the MacPython pages. Just do a title search for "MacPython" to
locate them. Visit and clean up as appropriate.

* Everything got pushed down, even home pages. One of three things can
reasonably be done:
1. Move a home page up if there isn't one at the top level.
2. Replace an uplevel home page with the MacPython version if the
latter is "better".
3. Merge the content from the MacPython version into the uplevel home
page.
Instead of performing #2 and #3 yourself, you might send an email to
the person and ask them to do the merge/replace. In any case, this
operation is likely to require some link fiddling.

* There may also be non-homepage pages at the top level which should be
merged with or replaced by (or replace) the MacPython version.
VisualPython comes to mind. Use your judgement

* There are lots of unprotected path references in the content,
e.g. /System/Library sitting there looking like a link when it should
probably be {{{/System/Library}}}.

* There may still be a bit of spam lurking in the pages. I tried to
eliminate all the crap, but I might have missed some.

* Many pages could use Category references. There are lots of pages
referring to scripting specific Mac applications, home pages and many
code samples. Adding CategoryMac or CategoryAppScript might be
reasonable as well.

* Use your WikiImagination. There are probably lots of other things
that can be done. I think the MacPython wiki had fallen into a bit of
disrepair, even if you ignore the spam problem, so a little general
TLC would probably help.

Skip

(*) Thank goodness for Emacs and Mozex...