Macro redefinition

Tor Rustad

Ian said:
Tor said:
Ian Collins wrote:
[...]
In a more complex case, XML could perhaps give something, but in this
case I would rather write an ASN.1 specification and have the C code
generated by an ASN.1 compiler.
The team also disliked ASN.1! There are more tools to parse, merge and
fiddle about with XML documents.

Rather young "team" this... huh?

XML can describe logical structure of documents... but if I want to
model a complex protocol in the OSI application layer, XML is rather
useless IMO.

Me too, I'm down to my last Terabyte!

Oh dear... you are using Windows Vista? :p

Developers should have worse hardware, not better.

Ian Collins

Tor said:
Ian Collins wrote:

Rather young "team" this... huh?
Oh yes. My dislike comes from having to write a parser for it!
XML can describe logical structure of documents... but if I want to
model a complex protocol in the OSI application layer, XML is rather
useless IMO.
Possibly, maybe even probably. The wold of the programmer is devoid of
silver bullets, so we have to search for the best tool (or format) for
the job
Oh dear... you are using Windows Vista? :p
Please keep profanity out of this group.

CBFalconer

Ian said:
Tor Rustad wrote:
.... snip ...

Please keep profanity out of this group.

Actually, profanity is (unfortunately) fairly common. However the
objection is really to this unveiled, misapplied and anti-social
porn.

Ark Khasin

Gene said:
Yes. I've had a similar experience. "Preprocessor abuse" has often
led me to a place where something that needed to be done was beyond
the cpp to handle. Using python or perl or similar to generate code
is better in the long run. Most recently, I've used TXL (txl.ca) as a
very robust and maintainable way to (among other things) implement a
language extension inside an established language.
In this application, perl, python or TXL work as external preproccessor
(a converter of input text to output text while doing changes as
instructed by preprocessor directives (scripts)).
To that end, I'd humbly suggest to take a look at my article "Picking
the right code preprocessor" (e.g.
http://www.wirelessnetdesignline.com/howto/networking/199905675).