    anyone has any good examples of this that could save me a little time. LMK.
    Thanks!

    Matt

    MattB, Apr 12, 2004

  2. MattB

    Alek Davis Guest

    Matt,

    If you allow users to create accounts (and by this I mean being able to
    select a user name), why can't they define their own passwords? Anyway, if
    you are looking for a sample of random password generator (e.g. if you want
    to reset and send a random password if user forgets it), take a look at this
    one: http://www.obviex.com/Samples/Password.aspx.

    Alek

    "MattB" <> wrote in message
    > I'm working on implementing a feature in a web site to let a visitor

    create

    Alek Davis, Apr 12, 2004

  3. MattB

    mikeb Guest

    Alek Davis wrote:

    > Matt,
    >
    > If you allow users to create accounts (and by this I mean being able to
    > select a user name), why can't they define their own passwords?

    This is a common way to validate the email address - both that the
    address exists and that it does not belong to someone else.

    --
    mikeb

    mikeb, Apr 12, 2004
  4. MattB

    Alek Davis Guest

    OK, fair enough.

    Alek

    Alek Davis, Apr 12, 2004
  5. MattB

    MattB Guest

    Yes, that's one reason. The other is that the records may already exist
    (web-enabling legacy system) and we don't want people to be able to access
    others' records.

    Thanks for the example. I'll check it out!

    Matt

    MattB, Apr 12, 2004
  6. MattB

    TomS Guest

    Re: Mail back random password

    I use 6 char passwords. You can add any characters you desire into the
    pickstring string, just make sure you increase/decrease the 71
    character count in the tempPW setup. Call this function to get a temp
    PW then email it. Good luck, Tom.

    Function build_random_temp_pw()
    Dim pickstring, tempPW as string
    pickstring = "ABCDEFGHJKLMN6PQRSTUVWXYZ123456789abcdefghkmnzpqrstuvwxyzeth3649xwamk74v"
    Dim oRand as New Random(Environment.TickCount)
    Dim x as integer
    FOR X = 1 to 6
    tempPW = tempPW & pickstring.Substring(oRand.Next(1,71),1)
    NEXT
    Return tempPW
    End Function

    TomS, Apr 13, 2004