Mail filtering without procmail using webmail client

J Cardella

Greetings --

Is there any alternative to procmail available?

I ask because my web host provider provides webamil clients (Squirrel
Mail, Horde, NeoMail) but they do not allow procmail to run on their
servers (I assume security concerns, or worse yet support concerns).

What I want to do is simple mail routing (writing mail to files), and
I imagine I can re-route text mails and have them "delivered"
(written) to mail folders, but my concern is with attachments and mail
that's not fullt text based. I also have the problem of having the
mail client interpret each mail individually, and not as one long
appended file.

Any mail gurus out there who can help? Searching the newsgroup
archives for "webamil without procmail" yeilds nothing.

Thanks in advance,
Joel

Mark Clements

J said:
Greetings --

Is there any alternative to procmail available?
Any mail gurus out there who can help? Searching the newsgroup
archives for "webamil without procmail" yeilds nothing.
I'm not surprised...... However, there are a number of alternatives to
procmail. You can set up filters in Imp (which is what I assume you mean
by Horde), or there are a number of programs that will run on the server
eg sieve or maildrop, but plugging these into the MTA is dependent on
the MTA itself and the hosting policy.

Mark

J Cardella

Mark Clements said:
<snip>
This has nothing to do with perl. However...

Sorry, my reasoning was I am a fairly competent in Perl, so I would
write my own parser, but if anyone knew of something more readily
available I could use or mod, that's what I would do. I should have
phrased this " Are there any Perl alternatives to Procmail available."

CPAN has a couple solutions, but I think hosting policy negates me
using them.

Basically I need something in Perl which can run with the permissions
I have, without many bells and whistles (i.e. installed packages).

I'm not surprised...... However, there are a number of alternatives to
procmail. You can set up filters in Imp (which is what I assume you mean
by Horde), or there are a number of programs that will run on the server
eg sieve or maildrop, but plugging these into the MTA is dependent on
the MTA itself and the hosting policy.

Mark

I've looked into Imp (you are correct with your Horde assumption) but
I think it only allows delivery to a script, not to a file. I have not
seen sieve or maildrop, I'll look into those now.

Thanks for your time,
Joel