Mail filtering without procmail using webmail client

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by J Cardella, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. J Cardella

    J Cardella Guest

    Greetings --

    Is there any alternative to procmail available?

    I ask because my web host provider provides webamil clients (Squirrel
    Mail, Horde, NeoMail) but they do not allow procmail to run on their
    servers (I assume security concerns, or worse yet support concerns).

    What I want to do is simple mail routing (writing mail to files), and
    I imagine I can re-route text mails and have them "delivered"
    (written) to mail folders, but my concern is with attachments and mail
    that's not fullt text based. I also have the problem of having the
    mail client interpret each mail individually, and not as one long
    appended file.

    Any mail gurus out there who can help? Searching the newsgroup
    archives for "webamil without procmail" yeilds nothing.

    Thanks in advance,
    Joel
    J Cardella, Sep 27, 2004

  2. J Cardella wrote:
    > Greetings --
    >
    > Is there any alternative to procmail available?

    <snip>
    This has nothing to do with perl. However...

    > Any mail gurus out there who can help? Searching the newsgroup
    > archives for "webamil without procmail" yeilds nothing.

    I'm not surprised...... However, there are a number of alternatives to
    procmail. You can set up filters in Imp (which is what I assume you mean
    by Horde), or there are a number of programs that will run on the server
    eg sieve or maildrop, but plugging these into the MTA is dependent on
    the MTA itself and the hosting policy.

    Mark
    Mark Clements, Sep 27, 2004

  3. J Cardella

    J Cardella Guest

    Mark Clements <> wrote in message news:<41584a23$>...
    > J Cardella wrote:
    > > Greetings --
    > >
    > > Is there any alternative to procmail available?

    > <snip>
    > This has nothing to do with perl. However...

    Sorry, my reasoning was I am a fairly competent in Perl, so I would
    write my own parser, but if anyone knew of something more readily
    available I could use or mod, that's what I would do. I should have
    phrased this " Are there any Perl alternatives to Procmail available."

    CPAN has a couple solutions, but I think hosting policy negates me
    using them.

    Basically I need something in Perl which can run with the permissions
    I have, without many bells and whistles (i.e. installed packages).

    > > Any mail gurus out there who can help? Searching the newsgroup
    > > archives for "webamil without procmail" yeilds nothing.

    > I'm not surprised...... However, there are a number of alternatives to
    > procmail. You can set up filters in Imp (which is what I assume you mean
    > by Horde), or there are a number of programs that will run on the server
    > eg sieve or maildrop, but plugging these into the MTA is dependent on
    > the MTA itself and the hosting policy.
    >
    > Mark

    I've looked into Imp (you are correct with your Horde assumption) but
    I think it only allows delivery to a script, not to a file. I have not
    seen sieve or maildrop, I'll look into those now.

    Thanks for your time,
    Joel
    J Cardella, Sep 28, 2004
  4. Johan Vromans, Sep 28, 2004