Mail hosts scanning

Discussion in 'Java' started by Abraham Khalil, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. I'am writing an email client application and would like to scan for
    "typical settings" for both the protocols POP3 and IMAP

    For pop3 came up with: (assuming by email its )
    * mail.host.com
    * pop.host.com
    * pop.mail.host.com
    * pop3.host.com
    * host.com

    So the program would scan for the typical setting above using pop3
    standard port of 110. If not found one, user forced to type one in.

    For imap - what are its typical settings - Some I believe are:
    * mail.host.com
    * imap.host.com
    * imap.mail.host.com
    * imap3.host.com (Is this true - can their by imap2, imap4?)
    * host.com

    I would like to know of near generic settings that should be at least
    included. Especially imap ones.

    Could we do this by MX records? Is this usuage to check if a the
    domain name of the email address actually exist and should only be
    used for that?

    Thanks
    Abraham Khalil
    Abraham Khalil, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Abraham Khalil

    Loic Minier Guest

    * Abraham Khalil <>,
    16 Aug 2003 21:53:08 -0700:
    > Could we do this by MX records? Is this usuage to check if a the
    > domain name of the email address actually exist and should only be
    > used for that?

    Beyond the fact that you will raise tons of security alerts in some
    enterprises by scanning for a mail server, you might also find the
    wrong one (for example one where your user has no account).
    Mail servers for in coming mail are pointed almost always by the MX
    records, but they do not reflect the POP3/IMAP servers. You did not
    mention IMAP-SSL or POP3-SSL.
    Other services on a network are supposed to be carried by the DHCP
    server automatically to the client, so you might want to check for a
    sytem wide setting first.
    For a domain 'mydomain.myext' you can advertise other servers with
    SRV records.

    How is all of this related to Java?

    --
    Loïc Minier <>
    Loic Minier, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Its to build a client mail account using Swing. What I want is the
    program to do the hard work for you when it comes to enter the POP3
    mail server or IMAP mail server settings because most users don't have
    a clue about this.

    So it has a default likly POP3 setting such as mail.domain (where
    domain be like cnn.com) and a swing button at the bottom of it saying
    "Discover POP3 server". Clicking that will show four most likly main
    settings such as

    * mail.domain
    * pop.domain
    * pop.mail.domain
    * pop3.domain
    * domain

    Person clicking on Test Selected Servers can scan for Pop3 server
    accounts.
    The problem is to test if its a "valid host" for a "user account" -
    should I use JavaMail Store object and do a connect - to check for
    "valid host" and
    "user login" OR just test if the host exist by opening the host on a
    certain port number?

    Thanks
    Abraham Khalil

    Abraham Khalil, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Please help. Whats the nicer way to do so?
    Building an email client and want the user to setup his/her email
    details very easily - (almost dummy proof)

    Abraham Khalil, Aug 28, 2003