Mail message attachement problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Eric, Apr 23, 2010.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hi,

    I'm working on a ASP.Net website where I use the MailMessage method to send
    a report filled in by the user to a given email address.
    The user can also upload an attachement to be put in the data part of the
    report.

    If the attachement is less then 1,7 Mb there is no problem, the email is sent.
    Any larger attachement and I get an error stating "the message could not be
    sent"

    The webserver is an IIS7 and I use the local smtp server (via IIS6) to send
    the emails.
    In the settings of the smtp server I have unchecked the email size
    limitations. At first I had it set to 8192 Kb, but for testing I removed the
    limit.

    Unfortunalty the emails are not sent, I don't even see them appear in the
    mailroot/queue folder. (the smaller emails I do see)

    I have put the timout property of the SmtpClient to 300 secs, so it should
    have enough time to send the message.

    What is going wrong here?

    Dim smtpC As SmtpClient

    Dim message As New MailMessage
    message.To.Add(New MailAddress(rc.sEmailOntvanger))
    message.From = New MailAddress(rc.sEmailZender)
    message.Subject = "RIE report for site " & rc.sSitenummer
    message.Body = strbody.ToString
    message.BodyEncoding = System.Text.Encoding.Unicode
    message.IsBodyHtml = True

    message.Attachments.Add(data1)
    data1 = Nothing

    'attach PDF file to message
    Dim RapportPDFName As String = Server.MapPath("~\") &
    FormFile.Replace("/", "\")
    data1 = New Attachment(RapportPDFName, MediaTypeNames.Application.Octet)
    Try
    ' Add time stamp information for the file.
    disposition1 = data1.ContentDisposition
    disposition1.CreationDate =
    System.IO.File.GetCreationTime(RapportPDFName)
    disposition1.ModificationDate =
    System.IO.File.GetLastWriteTime(RapportPDFName)
    disposition1.ReadDate = System.IO.File.GetLastAccessTime(RapportPDFName)
    Catch ex As Exception
    ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType(), "alert",
    "<script>alert('Error');</script>")
    message.Dispose()
    data1 = Nothing
    disposition1 = Nothing
    Exit Sub
    End Try
    message.Attachments.Add(data1)
    data1 = Nothing

    smtpC = New SmtpClient("localhost", 25)
    smtpC.UseDefaultCredentials = False
    smtpC.DeliveryMethod = SmtpDeliveryMethod.Network
    smtpC.Timeout = 300000

    Try
    smtpC.Send(message)
    message.Dispose()
    disposition1 = Nothing
    data1 = Nothing
    Catch ex As Exception
    message.Dispose()
    disposition1 = Nothing
    data1 = Nothing
    ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType(), "alert",
    "<script>alert('Het was niet mogelijk om het rapport te emailen. -1-" +
    smtpC.Host + "');</script>")
    Exit Sub
    End Try

    rg,
    Eric

    Eric, Apr 23, 2010

  2. Eric

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Eric wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm working on a ASP.Net website

    ***canned wrong-newsgroup reply************************
    recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
    ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
    lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
    question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
    group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest

    > where I use the MailMessage method
    > to send
    > a report filled in by the user to a given email address.
    > The user can also upload an attachement to be put in the data part of
    > the report.

    I suspect this is the problem:
    http://bytes.com/topic/net/answers/426571-request-exceeds-limit

    --