Mail::POP3Client

Jeff Snoxell

Hello,

I'm trying to develop a script to do some Spam filtering for me. I've got my
script running no problem. It connects to my pop box, scans and deletes
emails, logs its activity etc.

Problem is, once the scan is completed, ALL my emails are marked as having
been read, so when I subsequently download them with my mail client, they're
not flagged up correctly.

I've tried calling $client->unseen($i) for each message after I've finished
with it; but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Jeff Snoxell
http://www.aetherweb.co.uk

Josef Möllers

Jeff said:
Hello,

I'm trying to develop a script to do some Spam filtering for me. I've got my
script running no problem. It connects to my pop box, scans and deletes
emails, logs its activity etc.

Problem is, once the scan is completed, ALL my emails are marked as having
been read, so when I subsequently download them with my mail client, they're
not flagged up correctly.

I've tried calling $client->unseen($i) for each message after I've finished
with it; but this doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm doing the very same thing, but based on IMAP. There you can say
$imap->Peek(1);
to prevent the setting of the /Seen flag in the first place.

HTH,

Josef

Salvador Fandino

Jeff said:
Hello,

I'm trying to develop a script to do some Spam filtering for me. I've got my
script running no problem. It connects to my pop box, scans and deletes
emails, logs its activity etc.

I have already done one, you can get it from

http://yaspi.sourceforge.net

Problem is, once the scan is completed, ALL my emails are marked as having
been read, so when I subsequently download them with my mail client, they're
not flagged up correctly.

do not download the full message, use "top" instead to retrieve the
headers and the first lines

Sisyphus

Josef said:
I'm doing the very same thing, but based on IMAP. There you can say
$imap->Peek(1);
to prevent the setting of the /Seen flag in the first place.

Not sure if that will work with Mail::pOP3Client .... but it might. See
the section "IMAP COMPATIBILITY" near the end of the Mail::pOP3Client
pod documentation.

Cheers,
Rob