Mailing list access

David Ross

Why do we even need a newsgroup gateway? Can there be
a authentication device of some kind to block this
disgusting email containing porn links? I am sort of
curious as well about one of the emails, maybe a bit
of someone performing "childish acts" as far as
spamming? one of the addresses was
(e-mail address removed) and the other
(e-mail address removed). Oh well.. It would be nice to
get a authtication access software to get rid of any
writable external newsgroup access. I think newsgroups
should be read only. --David Ross

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Stephan Kämper

David said:
Why do we even need a newsgroup gateway?

Answer 1: To connect the news group and the mailing list.

Answer 2: Because tastes differ. Some prefer the news group, others like
to use a mailing list. IMHO there's just no sense and no
Can there be
a authentication device of some kind to block this
disgusting email containing porn links? I am sort of

As long as email addresses are published as part of the posting
authentication won't help. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

How about a spam filter? As for the news group they seem to work. I
haven't seen spam in the news goup for quite a while.
curious as well about one of the emails, maybe a bit

--- 8< snipped part of the posting ---
It would be nice to
get a authtication access software to get rid of any
writable external newsgroup access. I think newsgroups
should be read only. --David Ross

Read-only news goups wouldn't change a bit. The messages posted to the
mailing list and/or the news group are archived anyway. And that's where
anybody might collect email addresses.

You'll find it either at

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/

or at google

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.ruby

Anyway, even if the news group were read-only, your email address would
still be made public and subject to potential spam.

As far as I am concerned in this case, I prefer the openness of news
groups (and Wikis) to many of the protection mechnisms one might set up.

Happy rubying

Stephan