    John Maclean
    MSc (DIC)
    07739 171 531

    John Maclean, Jan 13, 2006

  2. John Maclean

    Guest

    On Saturday 14 January 2006 01:20 am, John Maclean wrote:
    > Is there a dedicated mailing list for Ruby Tk?

    Not that I know of. Ruby has bindings for TK with the distribution. You could
    talk here. I could start a forum if people wanted. Going through google
    groups is kinda a pain, and I like using stickies in forums :)

    Anyway, what is the question?

    Tsume

    , Jan 13, 2006

  3. John Maclean

    John Maclean Guest

    Oh, that's a dangerous question for a noob ;)

    I'm looking and playing with the source for the package "ruby-tcltk". I'll try to order the questions that I have...

    i) When asking a question is it best to paste the source code in somewhere like http://rafb.net so that all can see?
    ii) Do people on this mailing list mind attachments containing code?
    ii) With regards to ruby-tcltk
    a) The package has some demos under /usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en
    b) Looking at /usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en/widget I'm finding it hard to see how to bind a button to "pop-up" anotherwidget. (I think that the correct term is "Invoking" or "binding").

    If this helps
    jayeola@tp20$ ruby --version
    ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-linux]

    Thanks for the offer and suggestion of starting up a new forum. I think that I'd rather stay here as this list is is quite extensive.

    --
    John Maclean
    MSc (DIC)

    John Maclean, Jan 13, 2006
  4. On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:45:07 +0100, John Maclean <> wrote=
    :

    > i) When asking a question is it best to paste the source code in =20
    > somewhere like http://rafb.net so that all can see?
    > ii) Do people on this mailing list mind attachments containing code?

    Most of the time, you should be able to go by with code excerpts under 40=
    =20
    lines of code, you can as well put them into the mail body.

    > ii) With regards to ruby-tcltk
    > a) The package has some demos under =20
    > /usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en
    > b) Looking at /usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en/widge=

    t =20
    > I'm finding it hard to see how to bind a button to "pop-up" =20
    > anotherwidget. (I think that the correct term is "Invoking" or =20
    > "binding").

    Ech, I'm not that Tk savvy, but speaking from general GUI experience, wha=
    t =20
    you're describing isn't really that common, and I'm not surprised the Tk =
    =20
    samples don't feature it - use of dialogs, or just hiding / showing =20
    widgets is more common.

    You should be able to add GUI widgets at runtime in event handlers just =20
    like you do when first creating the GUI, I'd first check if that works ou=
    t =20
    of the box. If not, you probably need to tell Tk to redo the layout of =20
    widgets either in the root element, or if it's possible, just the one =20
    containing the new widgets. You really need someone Tk-savvy to tell you =
    =20
    more.

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Jan 13, 2006
  5. From: John Maclean <>
    Subject: Re: Mailing list for Ruby TK
    Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 03:45:07 +0900
    > ii) With regards to ruby-tcltk
    > a) The package has some demos under /usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en
    > b) Looking at /usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en/widget I'm finding it hard to see how to bind a button to "pop-up" anotherwidget. (I think that the correct term is "Invoking" or "binding").

    I'm poor at English. So I couldn't understand what you want to know.
    Could you explain it to me in detail?
    --
    Hidetoshi NAGAI ()

    Hidetoshi NAGAI, Jan 14, 2006